Surface Pro X display brightness issue.

Anonymous
2019-12-02T21:08:51+00:00

I'm having an odd experience with the screen brightness of my SPX. Here's the sequence:

  1. Turn on the SPX to wake it from sleep. The screen appears to be at about 60% brightness.
  2. Press F7 (increase brightness). The screen brightness widget appears briefly, showing 100% brightness. The screen brightness doesn't change.
  3. Open Settings, navigate to System ->Display page. The Display brightness slider is at 100%. (Change brightness automatically is unchecked.)
  4. Click the Display brightness slider at about the 80% mark. The screen immediately brightens (confirming that it was well below 100%).
  5. Click the slider at the 100% mark. The screen brightens to 100%.

This sequence is the only way I can get 100% brightness after the SPX has been in sleep mode. Thoughts?

[Note: this is with the SPX connected to power. I haven't tried it on battery. The advanced power settings are standard Balanced. The system is on Windows Insider Fast Track, and is up-to-date.]

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2020-01-31T19:13:50+00:00

    Here's a link to the latest Feedback Hub report: https://aka.ms/AA7667f

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-01-21T17:28:01+00:00

    Oh, bleep. Sorry to get people's hopes up. I haven't seen the problem recur, but evidently that's not dispositive....

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-01-21T17:09:45+00:00

    OK, as of the latest OS build (19546) and/or "System Hardware Update - 11/21/2019" which appeared three days ago, the brightness issue discussed here seems to be fixed. Fingers crossed, but....

    Do you reckon so?  I've got that build and the hardware update and just opened now from sleep.  Touching the slider on the brightness bar shows 84% but screen is dim.  Moving the slider to 80% and normal brightness resumed.  At least this build doesn't green screen like I was getting with 19041.

    Update: the latest build wouldn't even install so decided to reset back to basics (not roll-back) but that would only reset back to insider 19546 (really?).  Now reinstalled from stock 1809 download from MS site and brightness behaves itself

    • so think I'll leave insiders on SPX for now.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-01-21T16:54:39+00:00

    OK, as of the latest OS build (19546) and/or "System Hardware Update - 11/21/2019" which appeared three days ago, the brightness issue discussed here seems to be fixed. Fingers crossed, but....

    UPDATE: OK, I was wrong. Still present (now at build 19555).

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2020-01-09T19:35:15+00:00

    I've got four Surface Pro X's, all doing this as well..... and have tried all steps described in this thread with no success.....

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments