Surface Pro X display brightness issue.

Anonymous
2019-12-02T21:08:51+00:00

I'm having an odd experience with the screen brightness of my SPX. Here's the sequence:

  1. Turn on the SPX to wake it from sleep. The screen appears to be at about 60% brightness.
  2. Press F7 (increase brightness). The screen brightness widget appears briefly, showing 100% brightness. The screen brightness doesn't change.
  3. Open Settings, navigate to System ->Display page. The Display brightness slider is at 100%. (Change brightness automatically is unchecked.)
  4. Click the Display brightness slider at about the 80% mark. The screen immediately brightens (confirming that it was well below 100%).
  5. Click the slider at the 100% mark. The screen brightens to 100%.

This sequence is the only way I can get 100% brightness after the SPX has been in sleep mode. Thoughts?

[Note: this is with the SPX connected to power. I haven't tried it on battery. The advanced power settings are standard Balanced. The system is on Windows Insider Fast Track, and is up-to-date.]

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2020-03-03T00:02:23+00:00

    Well, I'm now up to Insider Fast Track build 19569, and the problem is still around. At least F6 and F7 are working properly, so whenever my SPX wakes up with a dim screen I can simply tap F6 to brighten it and then F7 to get to maximum brightness.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-03-02T23:53:52+00:00

    Had the same as you.  A reboot sorted but I imagine you've tried that...

    Thanks for the reply! Took a few more power cycles and the problem went away.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-02-29T03:40:00+00:00

    I am experiencing the same issue with two Surface Pro X devices we recently purchased. I suspect this issue may be widespread.

    I just bought a surface pro x and mine is no insider build but running on latest version 1909. I already experienced low brightness when my tablet awakens from sleep mode and have to toggle the brightness level to get it to the set brightness level. Mine is not even on auto brightnes setting. 

    Is this a hardware or software issue? Anyone knows any progress on this? 

    Thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-02-09T11:20:34+00:00

    Had the same as you.  A reboot sorted but I imagine you've tried that...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2020-02-04T04:10:47+00:00

    I'm having the same issue on my Surface pro X. Screen brightness stuck at about 80% mark and seemingly cannot be changed.

    I can increase the slider value for brightness to 100% but actual screen brightness does not change. I cannot get the brightness value any lower than 80% with the keyboard keys - but when I manually drag the UI slider, it goes lower but the screen brightness still never changes from static 80%. I've had this issue for a few weeks now.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments