Surface Pro X display brightness issue.

Anonymous
2019-12-02T21:08:51+00:00

I'm having an odd experience with the screen brightness of my SPX. Here's the sequence:

  1. Turn on the SPX to wake it from sleep. The screen appears to be at about 60% brightness.
  2. Press F7 (increase brightness). The screen brightness widget appears briefly, showing 100% brightness. The screen brightness doesn't change.
  3. Open Settings, navigate to System ->Display page. The Display brightness slider is at 100%. (Change brightness automatically is unchecked.)
  4. Click the Display brightness slider at about the 80% mark. The screen immediately brightens (confirming that it was well below 100%).
  5. Click the slider at the 100% mark. The screen brightens to 100%.

This sequence is the only way I can get 100% brightness after the SPX has been in sleep mode. Thoughts?

[Note: this is with the SPX connected to power. I haven't tried it on battery. The advanced power settings are standard Balanced. The system is on Windows Insider Fast Track, and is up-to-date.]

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2020-08-18T16:19:05+00:00

    I think the original issue has been fixed as of a few updates ago. Came to check the thread for confirmation.

    Anyone?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-06-10T17:42:43+00:00

    Sounds like a hardware issue. You should download the Surface Diagnostic Toolkit from the Microsoft Store and check out your system.

    The brightness problems that prompted my original post here have been solved for the last couple of months - at least for Fast Insiders....

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-06-09T10:32:17+00:00

    I can't change the brightness on my (very new) Surface Pro X - use the settings and the chat icon on the bottom right - neither changes the brightness (up or down) and I cannot use the tablet if I can't see (the brightness won't go up and is causing low grade eye strain). Please advise how to fix? 

    Thanks, 

    Dianna

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-04-23T20:25:18+00:00

    Cautiously, with fingers crossed, I can report that the latest Insider Fast build (19613) seemsto have fixed at least one of the Surface Pro X screen-dimming issues - the "screen is dimmed on waking even though Settings shows 100% brightness" bug.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2020-03-25T14:01:02+00:00

    You know how the screen turns dim right before it turns off?

    I think it never turns bright again after you wake it up again. I tested my theory a little and it seems to be correct.

    Just go to settings -> System -> Power & Sleep and change turn screen off to never or something really high. Battery life on the pro x is amazing anyways.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments