Surface Pro X display brightness issue.

Anonymous
2019-12-02T21:08:51+00:00

I'm having an odd experience with the screen brightness of my SPX. Here's the sequence:

  1. Turn on the SPX to wake it from sleep. The screen appears to be at about 60% brightness.
  2. Press F7 (increase brightness). The screen brightness widget appears briefly, showing 100% brightness. The screen brightness doesn't change.
  3. Open Settings, navigate to System ->Display page. The Display brightness slider is at 100%. (Change brightness automatically is unchecked.)
  4. Click the Display brightness slider at about the 80% mark. The screen immediately brightens (confirming that it was well below 100%).
  5. Click the slider at the 100% mark. The screen brightens to 100%.

This sequence is the only way I can get 100% brightness after the SPX has been in sleep mode. Thoughts?

[Note: this is with the SPX connected to power. I haven't tried it on battery. The advanced power settings are standard Balanced. The system is on Windows Insider Fast Track, and is up-to-date.]

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2021-01-22T06:09:54+00:00

    I've got the same issue on my Surface Pro X.  I simply cannot adjust the brightness.  Currently I have:

    Edition Windows 10 Home

    Version 20H2

    Installed on ‎8/‎16/‎2020

    OS build 19042.746

    Serial number 058897501753

    Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.551.0

    Best I can tell it started after I received this update:  

    January 12, 2021—KB4598242 (OS Builds 19041.746 and 19042.746)

    This is a bit frustrating as I normally use this when I'm sitting outside and now I can't read the screen unless I am indoors.

    I bought this laptop because my Surface Book has been with Microsoft for over 6 months for a warranty repair and I needed something to work from.  It's frustrating because I still don't have the Surface Book, and now I'm having issues with this machine.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  3. Anonymous
    2020-10-12T07:02:18+00:00

    Same here. Surface ProX, screen brightness stuck. Nothing will change it. I went into a store and they fiddled with it something like function or alt or something and it was fixed! ....Until now. Happened again, totally randomly too

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-08-18T18:17:00+00:00

    I think the original issue has been fixed as of a few updates ago. Came to check the thread for confirmation.

    Anyone?

    On the new build. Fixed.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2020-08-18T17:25:00+00:00

    I think the original issue has been fixed as of a few updates ago. Came to check the thread for confirmation.

    Anyone?

    I'm now on V2004 Build 19041 and it is fixed as far as I can see.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments