Surface Pro X display brightness issue.

Anonymous
2019-12-02T21:08:51+00:00

I'm having an odd experience with the screen brightness of my SPX. Here's the sequence:

  1. Turn on the SPX to wake it from sleep. The screen appears to be at about 60% brightness.
  2. Press F7 (increase brightness). The screen brightness widget appears briefly, showing 100% brightness. The screen brightness doesn't change.
  3. Open Settings, navigate to System ->Display page. The Display brightness slider is at 100%. (Change brightness automatically is unchecked.)
  4. Click the Display brightness slider at about the 80% mark. The screen immediately brightens (confirming that it was well below 100%).
  5. Click the slider at the 100% mark. The screen brightens to 100%.

This sequence is the only way I can get 100% brightness after the SPX has been in sleep mode. Thoughts?

[Note: this is with the SPX connected to power. I haven't tried it on battery. The advanced power settings are standard Balanced. The system is on Windows Insider Fast Track, and is up-to-date.]

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2019-12-20T19:11:58+00:00

    OK, I decided to try the Fresh Start. As instructed, I opened Windows Security, chose Device performance and health, and clicked Additional info under Fresh start. This opened thispage in my browser.  This page told me to...

    Under Fresh start, select Additional info, and then select Get Started to start the process.

    But there is no Get Started option visible anywhere.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-12-17T23:49:15+00:00

    Hello, I have received my Surface Pro X and the issue you presented is not present on my device as far as I can tell. I am running windows version 1909 with the latest firmware update installed. The brightness stuck issue, however, applies to both the pro 7 and the Pro X despite they use different display adapters and CPUs entirely. I have also noticed that on the Pro X there is also a version of display power saving (when the screen displays dark images the backlight will dim itself)  like the intel powered devices, however, the Qualcomm implementation is far smoother and more bearable, narrowingly preventing my unit from being shipped right back to microsoft because unlike the intel devices, this feature cannot be turned off on the surface Pro X unlike the intel based versions. I would highly recommend against running windows insider builds on surface devices as they are not standard PCs with the barebone functions but they need special software tuning in order to run well, such as custom drivers etc. which the insider builds are not designed for. It is possible that your problem is caused by incompatibility issues with the unreleased build, but don't take my word for it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-12-17T23:35:45+00:00

    Hi, I have received my Surface pro X and the issue posted is not present, however sometimes when I resume from sleep, the brightness adjustment for the panel will be stuck until I restart the device. This happens seemingly at random on both my Surface pro X and my Surface pro 7, and when this happens no method of changing the brightness will do anything to the display. This is a very annoying issue, and I hope it can get fixed in the next software update as soon as possible.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-12-17T23:24:14+00:00

    Hello GeoffreyMArnold ,

    Thank you for reaching out Microsoft Community. Thank you for your reply, right now we need to try performing a fresh start in your Surface for us to isolate if this is just a software or hardware issue.

    If this answer your question, we highly encourage you to inform our Community by clicking on Yes or marking my post as an answer. This will help other members who may have the same issue as you. Otherwise, don't hesitate to update us so we can further assist you.

    Regards,

    Jonas_T

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2019-12-17T02:51:36+00:00

    Already run. (See up-thread.) Didn't help.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments