Surface Pro X display brightness issue.

Anonymous
2019-12-02T21:08:51+00:00

I'm having an odd experience with the screen brightness of my SPX. Here's the sequence:

  1. Turn on the SPX to wake it from sleep. The screen appears to be at about 60% brightness.
  2. Press F7 (increase brightness). The screen brightness widget appears briefly, showing 100% brightness. The screen brightness doesn't change.
  3. Open Settings, navigate to System ->Display page. The Display brightness slider is at 100%. (Change brightness automatically is unchecked.)
  4. Click the Display brightness slider at about the 80% mark. The screen immediately brightens (confirming that it was well below 100%).
  5. Click the slider at the 100% mark. The screen brightens to 100%.

This sequence is the only way I can get 100% brightness after the SPX has been in sleep mode. Thoughts?

[Note: this is with the SPX connected to power. I haven't tried it on battery. The advanced power settings are standard Balanced. The system is on Windows Insider Fast Track, and is up-to-date.]

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2020-06-09T10:32:17+00:00

    I can't change the brightness on my (very new) Surface Pro X - use the settings and the chat icon on the bottom right - neither changes the brightness (up or down) and I cannot use the tablet if I can't see (the brightness won't go up and is causing low grade eye strain). Please advise how to fix? 

    Thanks, 

    Dianna

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-12-16T13:37:24+00:00

    Surface pro 7 with the same problem, screen brightness adjustment would occasionally stop working after resuming from sleep. I can slide the slider as much as I want but the brightness stays the same. Guess we'll have to wait for an update to fix this.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-12-11T01:02:20+00:00

    Hello GeoffreyMArnold,

    Thank you for reaching out Microsoft Community. We really appreciate all the efforts that you did just to possibly resolve the issue.

    we can try to uninstall and reinstall the graphics driver in you Surface follow this steps:

    start > type device manager > display adapter > right click and select uninstall >reboot the Surface

    Please keep us posted.

    Regards,

    Jonas_T

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-12-03T00:42:46+00:00

    I ran the Surface Diagnostic Toolkit, which didn't report any issues. I'll submit a Feedback Hub report.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2019-12-02T21:41:42+00:00

    Hi GeoffreyMArnold,

    Thank you for reaching out to Microsoft Community. We are sorry to hear about what happen to your Surface Pro X. Definitely this is not the experience that we want you to have.

    Please run the Surface Diagnostic Toolkit for Surface Pro X on the device. We recommend also that you submit a feedback on our Feedback Hub since the device is enrolled under Windows Insider Fast Track program.

    If this helps, we highly encourage you to inform our Community by clicking on Yes or marking my post as an answer. This will help other members who may have the same issue as you. Otherwise, don't hesitate to update us so we can further assist you.

    Kind Regards,

    Marrion Y.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments