Surface RT and Sandisk Extreme USB 3.0 Flash Drive

Anonymous
2013-02-07T04:40:16+00:00

I'm having problem using my flash drive on Surface RT.

recently, 95% of the time, when I plug my Extreme USB 3.0 flash drive into Surface RT, I get no response from the system, the indicator on the flash drive does not illuminate, there is no sound (the sound that plays out of speaks when a USB device is connected), and no drive appears in "my computer".

  1. I have been using this USB 3.0 flash drive on my Surface RT for over a month, and it was OK before, and i don't really know when exactly it started to act up.
  2. this is the only USB 3.0 flash drive I have now, all my other flash drives which are USB 2.0 work perfectly on Surface RT, and all my external HDDs work fine as well.
  3. the problematic USB 3.0 flash drive works fine with my Lenovo T420 and T500 with no problem at all
  4. if I leave the Extreme USB 3.0 flash drive in the USB port while I restart Surface, 100% of the time the flash drive is detected and recognized and working fine after reboot, but when I reject the drive and plug it back in, no response again.
  5. I have tried to change drive letter, reformat the flash drive, even reinstalled Surface RT in case it was a registry problem. doesn't change anything.

I have contacted Sandisk and the only response I got was "we didn't test it on ARM based system"...

any help?

Surface | Other

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-11-01T02:00:02+00:00

    Somebody earlier asked me whether this device works on Surface 2. I tried it on two systems. On one it comes up most of the time. On the other one, it took several attempts. So the interop problem between Surface 2 and this device still exists.

    -Eliyas

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-11-01T02:42:33+00:00

    There is a possibility of an electrical short within the tablet.  Since this is a Surface 2 you are talking about, other 2nd generation tablets have loose volume rockers and other details which may be display "slapped together" construction at the factory and no inspection.

    If the flash drive works in other computers 100% of the time but fails on the tablet, I would see about sending the tablet back.  This is probably a little more of a problem than just the USB socket.

    However, if you put the flash media in different computers and get a disconnect or not recognized by the other computer, that will be the flash drive itself.

    Flash media of all types (SD, micro-SD, USB pen drive, etc.) are not totally reliable.  They do wear down with age and last only about two years with heavy use.  After that, you will notice data loss and time to throw them away.

    I am getting to suspect that it is the USB port or the internal circuitry on the main board.  That cannot be repaired by anybody.  Those are built by a computer.  The only thing you can do if you can pin point the error to the tablet itself, your only option is to get a replacement via warranty.  Definitely defective.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-11-02T03:07:39+00:00

    If restarting fixes the problem, then it has to be software. See my other thread on this

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-11-03T08:37:29+00:00

    The only way I could get it done, is by turning one the Surface with the Sandisk already plugged in. Dirvers? Hardware? No idea, but it is clear that it is not working right...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2013-11-03T10:21:45+00:00

    The only way I could get it done, is by turning one the Surface with the Sandisk already plugged in. Dirvers? Hardware? No idea, but it is clear that it is not working right...

    If you really want to use the Usb drive buy

    http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00FPHY6I0/ref=ox\_ya\_os\_product .

    It works. It's better than a active hub with power connection.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments