Surface RT and Sandisk Extreme USB 3.0 Flash Drive

Anonymous
2013-02-07T04:40:16+00:00

I'm having problem using my flash drive on Surface RT.

recently, 95% of the time, when I plug my Extreme USB 3.0 flash drive into Surface RT, I get no response from the system, the indicator on the flash drive does not illuminate, there is no sound (the sound that plays out of speaks when a USB device is connected), and no drive appears in "my computer".

  1. I have been using this USB 3.0 flash drive on my Surface RT for over a month, and it was OK before, and i don't really know when exactly it started to act up.
  2. this is the only USB 3.0 flash drive I have now, all my other flash drives which are USB 2.0 work perfectly on Surface RT, and all my external HDDs work fine as well.
  3. the problematic USB 3.0 flash drive works fine with my Lenovo T420 and T500 with no problem at all
  4. if I leave the Extreme USB 3.0 flash drive in the USB port while I restart Surface, 100% of the time the flash drive is detected and recognized and working fine after reboot, but when I reject the drive and plug it back in, no response again.
  5. I have tried to change drive letter, reformat the flash drive, even reinstalled Surface RT in case it was a registry problem. doesn't change anything.

I have contacted Sandisk and the only response I got was "we didn't test it on ARM based system"...

any help?

Surface | Other

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-03-09T14:38:06+00:00

    Because they use a different storage controller, this issue only affects a certain USB storage controller

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-03-09T14:46:42+00:00

    So does anyone know if this is going to be fixed? It's been almost 5 months since I got my RT.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-03-09T14:48:46+00:00

    According to research its not a device issue, more of an issue with the drivers, as it affects Windows 8 as a whole. If you install older drivers for Windows 7 on 8 it apparently fixes the issue. However this is not an option on the Surface RT, as it enforces driver signing and its not possible to bypass this. And these drivers aren't signed for Windows 8

    I have a Acer S7 running windows 8, had no problem with sandisk extreme 3.0... i don't think the problem affects full windows 8 system

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-03-09T15:06:15+00:00

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2013-03-11T03:31:59+00:00

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments