Surface RT and Sandisk Extreme USB 3.0 Flash Drive

Anonymous
2013-02-07T04:40:16+00:00

I'm having problem using my flash drive on Surface RT.

recently, 95% of the time, when I plug my Extreme USB 3.0 flash drive into Surface RT, I get no response from the system, the indicator on the flash drive does not illuminate, there is no sound (the sound that plays out of speaks when a USB device is connected), and no drive appears in "my computer".

  1. I have been using this USB 3.0 flash drive on my Surface RT for over a month, and it was OK before, and i don't really know when exactly it started to act up.
  2. this is the only USB 3.0 flash drive I have now, all my other flash drives which are USB 2.0 work perfectly on Surface RT, and all my external HDDs work fine as well.
  3. the problematic USB 3.0 flash drive works fine with my Lenovo T420 and T500 with no problem at all
  4. if I leave the Extreme USB 3.0 flash drive in the USB port while I restart Surface, 100% of the time the flash drive is detected and recognized and working fine after reboot, but when I reject the drive and plug it back in, no response again.
  5. I have tried to change drive letter, reformat the flash drive, even reinstalled Surface RT in case it was a registry problem. doesn't change anything.

I have contacted Sandisk and the only response I got was "we didn't test it on ARM based system"...

any help?

Surface | Other

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-02-07T05:27:21+00:00

    Greetings TurboZHK,

    Sorry to hear about your Surface having an issue with your Sandisk Extreme USB drive. Do you know someone who has a USB 3.0 flash drive that would be willing to let you use it just to see if your Surface is not accepting USB 3.0 once the Surface is on?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-02-07T06:25:40+00:00

    well, it was working fine until recently. and even now with problems, occationlly the flash drive can be detected and used normaly, once detected, never had a problem transfering data from or to the flash drive.

    i have no idea what triggers the problem, whether it can be detected by the system seems random, except when i leave the drive in the usb port and reboot, it gets detected every time.

    so Surface RT should have no problem with USB 3.0 devices, at leaset until recently.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-02-08T00:28:38+00:00

    Greetings TurboZHK,

    It is a bit odd, which is why I was wondering if you can get another USB 3.0 device to work with your Surface.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-03-03T18:39:39+00:00

    Same thing with me. The 3.0 drive works well on my surface pro and my wife's 2.0 USB macbook and my old MacBook pro but doesn't get acknowledged by my surface RT. My other usb 2.0 drives work fine.

    BTW - I have 2 identical sandisk 3.0 64gig drives and neither works. So it's not the drives

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2013-03-04T07:39:01+00:00

    Same thing with me. The 3.0 drive works well on my surface pro and my wife's 2.0 USB macbook and my old MacBook pro but doesn't get acknowledged by my surface RT. My other usb 2.0 drives work fine.

     

    BTW - I have 2 identical sandisk 3.0 64gig drives and neither works. So it's not the drives

    do you have any problem with other usb 3.0 devices, such as external hard disks?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments