I am wondering if the windows 8.1 update solved this issue. Anyone try this yet?
Surface RT and Sandisk Extreme USB 3.0 Flash Drive
I'm having problem using my flash drive on Surface RT.
recently, 95% of the time, when I plug my Extreme USB 3.0 flash drive into Surface RT, I get no response from the system, the indicator on the flash drive does not illuminate, there is no sound (the sound that plays out of speaks when a USB device is connected), and no drive appears in "my computer".
- I have been using this USB 3.0 flash drive on my Surface RT for over a month, and it was OK before, and i don't really know when exactly it started to act up.
- this is the only USB 3.0 flash drive I have now, all my other flash drives which are USB 2.0 work perfectly on Surface RT, and all my external HDDs work fine as well.
- the problematic USB 3.0 flash drive works fine with my Lenovo T420 and T500 with no problem at all
- if I leave the Extreme USB 3.0 flash drive in the USB port while I restart Surface, 100% of the time the flash drive is detected and recognized and working fine after reboot, but when I reject the drive and plug it back in, no response again.
- I have tried to change drive letter, reformat the flash drive, even reinstalled Surface RT in case it was a registry problem. doesn't change anything.
I have contacted Sandisk and the only response I got was "we didn't test it on ARM based system"...
any help?
Surface | Other
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
42 answers
Sort by: Newest
-
Anonymous
2013-12-04T21:14:32+00:00 -
Anonymous
2013-11-03T14:43:47+00:00 Had the same problem with my Surface RT and the only way to get it to work for me was to restart with it plugged in.
But it works fine with the Surface 2. Also had no problem with the Surface PRO.
As an asides, the Surface 2 works so well for me (I don't need any legacy apps) that all I'm using is the Surface 2. I have an old desktop for the odd times I need a DVD drive.
-
Anonymous
2013-11-03T10:21:45+00:00 The only way I could get it done, is by turning one the Surface with the Sandisk already plugged in. Dirvers? Hardware? No idea, but it is clear that it is not working right...
If you really want to use the Usb drive buy
http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00FPHY6I0/ref=ox\_ya\_os\_product .
It works. It's better than a active hub with power connection.
-
Anonymous
2013-11-03T08:37:29+00:00 The only way I could get it done, is by turning one the Surface with the Sandisk already plugged in. Dirvers? Hardware? No idea, but it is clear that it is not working right...
-
Anonymous
2013-11-02T03:07:39+00:00 If restarting fixes the problem, then it has to be software. See my other thread on this