Screen is shutting down while using zoom meeting program

Anonymous
2020-03-30T18:20:01+00:00

I bought my surface pro 7 at the end of January and until last week I didnt have any problem,but last week, it shut down suddenly when I left the pc idle. This was the first time. and then the next day its screen started to shut down suddenly and randomly in the middle of the "zoom" meeting. The other peoples voices kept coming but there was no image on the screen. It was dark. This problem still going on and it is very annoying. I tried using "zoom" on the another pc which has win 10, and I didn`t have any problem. Actually this shutting down randomly and suddenly problem must be solved immediately, because the devices are expensive and I paid a lot of money on it and we are more dependent  the computers nowadays than it was due to the extraordinary times we are going through due to the coronavirus situation.Do you have any advises for me to apply on my computer to fix it? Is it a general problem? Is it going to be solved or are we going to give up buying microsoft devices anymore? Please help and inform me as soon as possible.

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2021-01-20T13:21:29+00:00

    We are experiencing the same issue with a SP7. The screen shuts off, but our user can still hear the audio from the meeting. They will press a button on the keyboard or the touchpad (sometimes several times) and the screen will wake back up and into the meeting. This occurs if they are just watching the meeting, but NOT actively participating. (Taking notes, etc...)

    We have made sure the user is on the latest version of Zoom (5.4.9 at this time). The user is running the 1909 version of Windows 10. We are going to upgrade them to the latest version of Win 10 (20H2) to see if this alleviates the issue.

    UPDATE: We did update to 20H2 with no resolution. We also tried changing the power timers to never for every option we could, but that made no change. We also tried the Windows Mobility Center and enabling presentation mode with no resolution either. It seems like the screen is going to sleep/the screen saver is kicking on when this occurs. We are at the mercy of waiting for an update from Microsoft/Zoom.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-05-10T10:45:22+00:00

    Some of the cases posted above sound like they can be resolved by adjusting the Power & Sleep settings. It took me a while to discover that when I am actually focusing on a Teams or Zoom meeting (and not doing email on the side) of course I don't use the keyboard or mouse, which is why Windows thinks I am inactive (huh!). Solution: adjust screen time-out and sleep settings. Mine are now set to "never" sleep when plugged in, so when the screen goes black after 15 minutes, just moving the mouse around will set me right again.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-07-03T09:51:46+00:00

    I wonder if this is why my Surface shut down during a presentation where I was being assessed last week. I wasn't leaving it idle though, as I was using the forward button to go through the presentation slides. It was fully charged up - could it eat up charge at, say 4X the normal rate when you're trying to play a PPT over Zoom? Did it make a difference that I also had to use my phone as a tether point to access the internet? Was this all just taking up too much RAM?? It was incredibly stressful.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-08-10T08:18:00+00:00

    Same mine shut down middle of meeting for 2 times and I had to reboot my computer

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2021-08-25T21:28:01+00:00

    I have a Microsoft 10 and it has shut down 3 times. Middle of meetings. Totally bad form. What to do???

    Same problem here.

    I teach on Zoom, run Microsoft Windows 10. But if I have Microsoft Outlook open at the same time as Zoom, Microsoft seems to crash the Zoom program. I am working off a Dell laptop.

    I've been shutting down Microsoft Outlook before beginning a class on Zoom, and that seems to help.

    Any other suggestions?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments