How can I determine why my zoom calls keeps dropping
Screen is shutting down while using zoom meeting program
I bought my surface pro 7 at the end of January and until last week I didnt have any problem,but last week, it shut down suddenly when I left the pc idle. This was the first time. and then the next day its screen started to shut down suddenly and randomly in the middle of the "zoom" meeting. The other peoples voices kept coming but there was no image on the screen. It was dark. This problem still going on and it is very annoying. I tried using "zoom" on the another pc which has win 10, and I didn`t have any
problem. Actually this shutting down randomly and suddenly problem must be solved immediately, because the devices are expensive and I paid a lot of money on it and we are more dependent the computers nowadays than it was due to the extraordinary times we
are going through due to the coronavirus situation.Do you have any advises for me to apply on my computer to fix it? Is it a general problem? Is it going to be solved or are we going to give up buying microsoft devices anymore? Please help and inform me as
soon as possible.
Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
47 answers
Sort by: Oldest
-
Anonymous
2020-08-03T17:13:36+00:00 -
Anonymous
2020-08-04T00:53:01+00:00 How can I determine why my zoom calls keeps dropping
I bought my Surface laptop 3 pro and my laptop would shut down at least once a day -- randomly during a Zoom call. It got so bad that I would log in from my laptop AND my phone.
I was on the phone with Microsoft Tech Support for a total of 11 hours and evidently running Chrome, while running Zoom, causes the shut down.
Including reinstalling Windows10, running different toolkits, scans, etc.
I have -- bitterly -- used the latest Microsoft Edge browser for the past 10 hours and i haven't had a single shut down.
Just an FYI -- maybe this will ease someone else's heartache of reinstalling windows10.
-
Anonymous
2020-08-07T13:29:56+00:00 But from where we have to open I am grateful for your true friendship. Hope you birthday is amazing as you are my best friend!
-
Anonymous
2020-08-21T17:34:35+00:00 How can I determine why my zoom calls keeps dropping
I bought my Surface laptop 3 pro and my laptop would shut down at least once a day -- randomly during a Zoom call. It got so bad that I would log in from my laptop AND my phone.
I was on the phone with Microsoft Tech Support for a total of 11 hours and evidently running Chrome, while running Zoom, causes the shut down.
Including reinstalling Windows10, running different toolkits, scans, etc.
I have -- bitterly -- used the latest Microsoft Edge browser for the past 10 hours and i haven't had a single shut down.
Just an FYI -- maybe this will ease someone else's heartache of reinstalling windows10.
I have a brand new HP Pavilion laptop, 14-ce1035G1, Windows 10, 64 bit, 8gb RAM, 10th Gen i5 -- well above minimum spec to run current Zoom conference software. Just unboxed Friday August 14, 2020 (was a replacement for a same model laptop that arrived with a dead pixel near center screen). 2 days ago, 10 or 15 minutes into a Zoom conference, my screen went dark grey, as if the screen was "blanked" without being totally "off", though audio continued without interruption. I tried all steps I knew (harder to do when you can't get visual feedback; I was on full screen mode at the time though doubt if that would have mattered) to get the screen to turn back on again, without any effect. I ended up closing the lid just to make it easier to attach an Ethernet cable (I'd been on home wi-fi until then), and as soon as I lifted the lid the screen lit up again. I reached out to others on the same Zoom session and no one else had these issues. I'd already been on at least one Zoom before the one where the screen blanked, and have been on one since, without changing any of the laptop settings, and did not have this problem. I was using Google Chrome which the above commenter said that when combined with Zoom could cause the dark screen to happen. HP support covers a full year on this one, but gets limited after the first 30 days (not up yet) --and even then, they said that since it only happened during the running of 3d party software (Zoom) and all hardware diagnostics found the laptop to be OK on hardware, they'd charge me $60 or $70 to have further tests done -- and that even if their techs concluded that it was a hardware problem after all, I'd still be out the full diagnostics fee.
I've never had this problem either with laptops or desktops, and not even with another laptop I have both before and after I upgraded it to Windows 10 (had to use a green screen to do Zoom with either 7 or 10 because the hardware there was too old to support "virtual background" on Zoom, like this new laptop can, without sitting in front of a green screen)
I did see another reply earlier that suggested that changing the screen turn-off (energy saving) features to the "never turn off" setting (both on battery and on AC) could help. And I had already returned a "reconditioned" Dell laptop that started out with Win 7, 8 or 8.1 but was upgraded to 10 during the refurbishment, that had a "permanent sleep" display problem that the seller told me was because that laptop was too old to work properly with Win 10's power saving routines. They told me to turn all to energy savings settings to "never off", which did "fix" that problem, but I still ended up returning for a refund because the original and 2 replacements they sent me all had a non-operational SD card slot (which I need to be functional) because the slot apparently did not work under Windows 10 (no drivers had been released for that slot for years).
So the question is: Does anyone think that if I disable the energy saving settings for the laptop's screen, that I'll never run into the screen shutoff problem in Zoom again? Because HP isn't admitting that this is a hardware problem but won't help me if it's a software problem even with a yearlong warranty, and Staples only allows tech returns in-store for 14 days, I may not find out that the power settings change will fix the problem until it's too late for Staples to take the laptop back.
Suggestions/information would be appreciated!
-
Anonymous
2020-08-28T03:05:51+00:00 I have also seen the black screen on my Surface screen while in Zoom. I believe a fix is disabling all hardware acceleration on Zoom's settings to help the Surface not heat itself into disaster.