wifi issues

Anonymous
2012-10-28T18:24:01+00:00

I had an issue this morning where Surface couldn't find any wifi networks (when 5 were in the area) and it was connected the previous night. I solved this issue by searching windows rt for Network. Open Network Connections, find the wifi device and then disable this connection. After a minute - I re-enabled the connection and then it started to work.

Just wanted to share my experience if anyone runs into the same issue. Thanks!

Nate

Surface | Other

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-02-19T00:22:07+00:00

Greetings all,

We are working on a solution for the Limited WiFi issue. Please refer to the following thread for potential workarounds while we are working on the WiFi issue:

http://answers.microsoft.com/thread/c593dff8-61b3-496c-b8f2-f9deb3e4b35e

Was this answer helpful?

30+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-07-26T22:53:04+00:00

Greetings everyone,

Thank you for your continued interest, feedback and assistance in investigating the Limited WiFi issue on the Surface.

Not all limited connectivity scenarios have solutions that can be controlled by the Wi-Fi drivers of a given device. Limited connectivity scenarios result from a complex interaction of device Wi-Fi drivers, access point firmware, access point configuration, and other environmental factors.

If following the steps in the provided links below fail to resolve your Wi-Fi issue I encourage you to create a new thread.

Connect to a wireless network

Can’t connect to a wireless network?

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-08-20T01:28:23+00:00

You will most likely have to do a REFRESH.  Most of us has had to do that.  For some reason or another the driver gets corrupted.  You may also do a trick that most others have done as well as long as you don't have the 8.1 Preview of Windows 8 RT installed.

That trick is to open the Control Panel and go do Device Manager.  Look for the Marvel WiFi adapter and "Uninstall" the driver but "DO NOT DELETE IT".  When finished, reboot the tablet and it should connect.

Try that trick first and if it doesn't work, then do a REFRESH.

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-05-26T21:44:35+00:00

Hello priscillaodendaal,

Sorry to hear you are having problems connecting to WiFi.

You should be able to connect to WiFi. Are you getting any errors when trying to connect? Are you able to see the networks and not connect to them?

Let us know.

Best regards.

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

682 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-01-03T19:13:33+00:00

    Hi, could you please give us the details of this fix? I think that this might help me in some cases.            

    To lock Surface to 802.11 b/g band you can use 'Regedit'.

    Open Desktop -> Search -> regedit

    Open regedit. Select menu Edit -> Find...

    Enter "AutoUse40Mhz" -> do search.

    There are 2 such entries in registry. We need to change one, located under "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class" branch.

    Set "AutoUse40Mhz" to "0" (it has value "1" by default)

    Set "Band" to "4" (it has value "6" by default)

    Reboot and Surface will connect using 802.11 b/g band.

     

    Thanks, so far so good. Good temp fix. Thanks!

    I was ready to pull my hair out but this fix did it. I noticed the WiFi problem when I moved between my parents house and my apartment. My parents house has an old router that uses 802.11 b/g (if you hover over the white connection bar icon on the Surface that shows you what network you're on, it displays that info). In my apartment the router is newer and uses 802.11 n. I applied the fix above and lo and behold, the problem went away and I can use the Surface with my newer router!

    It's unfortunate that we have to resort to these registry changes but that's just how Microsoft works sometimes. I'm glad we have the ability to make these modifications. Thanks!

    P.S. I haven't noticed any differences with speed. I think the big differences between G and N are different from speed, like N has less interference from other signals and can transmit farther. Either way, hopefully Microsoft comes out with an actual fix soon.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments