wifi issues

Anonymous
2012-10-28T18:24:01+00:00

I had an issue this morning where Surface couldn't find any wifi networks (when 5 were in the area) and it was connected the previous night. I solved this issue by searching windows rt for Network. Open Network Connections, find the wifi device and then disable this connection. After a minute - I re-enabled the connection and then it started to work.

Just wanted to share my experience if anyone runs into the same issue. Thanks!

Nate

Surface | Other

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-02-19T00:22:07+00:00

Greetings all,

We are working on a solution for the Limited WiFi issue. Please refer to the following thread for potential workarounds while we are working on the WiFi issue:

http://answers.microsoft.com/thread/c593dff8-61b3-496c-b8f2-f9deb3e4b35e

Was this answer helpful?

30+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-07-26T22:53:04+00:00

Greetings everyone,

Thank you for your continued interest, feedback and assistance in investigating the Limited WiFi issue on the Surface.

Not all limited connectivity scenarios have solutions that can be controlled by the Wi-Fi drivers of a given device. Limited connectivity scenarios result from a complex interaction of device Wi-Fi drivers, access point firmware, access point configuration, and other environmental factors.

If following the steps in the provided links below fail to resolve your Wi-Fi issue I encourage you to create a new thread.

Connect to a wireless network

Can’t connect to a wireless network?

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-08-20T01:28:23+00:00

You will most likely have to do a REFRESH.  Most of us has had to do that.  For some reason or another the driver gets corrupted.  You may also do a trick that most others have done as well as long as you don't have the 8.1 Preview of Windows 8 RT installed.

That trick is to open the Control Panel and go do Device Manager.  Look for the Marvel WiFi adapter and "Uninstall" the driver but "DO NOT DELETE IT".  When finished, reboot the tablet and it should connect.

Try that trick first and if it doesn't work, then do a REFRESH.

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-05-26T21:44:35+00:00

Hello priscillaodendaal,

Sorry to hear you are having problems connecting to WiFi.

You should be able to connect to WiFi. Are you getting any errors when trying to connect? Are you able to see the networks and not connect to them?

Let us know.

Best regards.

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

682 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2013-01-14T09:37:58+00:00

    I have a very similar issue since the last round of Windows updates: I can see WiFi hotspots, but I cannot connect to any of them. At home, Surface RT did not connect automatically to my own WiFi as it did before and it took several retries to get a connection at all. If I manage to get a connection, it is "Limited", but after a few seconds I get a full Internet connection. It is massively annyoing that the device does not connect automatically any more.

    However, I am not sure whether the Problem is related to the Surface hardware or to Windows itself. I have upgraded my desktop machine from Windows 7 (which worked perfectly wrt. to WiFi) to Windows 8 and it took dozens of trials until I got WiFi on Windows 8. But since then, it seems to work quite reliably in contrast to my Surface which worked before and ceased working now.

    I have tried all from removing the networks, disabling the adapter, rebooting the machine, shutting down the machine, but for me, nothing worked so far. The so-called "registry hack" did not have any effect on my machine.

    Best regards,

    Christoph

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments