Surface Pro7 touch screen issue with Windows 11

Anonymous
2021-11-07T14:03:55+00:00

Recently installed Windows 11 on my Surface pro7. The touchscreen stop working every time I lock machine after usage or if it goes on sleep. Also, face recognition stops working and only way to login is through pin.

If i restart machine, it works fine - both face recognition and touch screen works but the moment it goes for sleep or get locked, both things stop working again. Appreciate any help to resolve issue.

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2022-01-09T16:15:08+00:00

    I have both a SP7 and my wife has the previous generation (unofficially called the SP6). Both are expereincing this same issue after having upgraded from Win10 to Win11.

    I have tried the previous suggestions on both devices and it does not resolve the issue. Of course restarting the device works, however it recurs when it is put to sleep by closing the SP cover again.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-01-08T00:40:11+00:00

    After several days exchanging emails with Microsoft Support, they've told me to rollback to Windows 10 by resetting my SP7 (I'll paste their instructions below) 😡 Not happy given that Windows 11 and the Surface are both Microsoft products and my Surface told me that it was ready for a Windows 11 upgrade. Now I have to spend hours reinstalling software etc for which Microsoft is hardly going to compensate me for.

    Instructions from Microsoft Support:

    "As part of our isolation, we recommend you to reset the Surface device using USB Recovery image with Surface Pro 7 - i5/8/256 M1866 - Windows 10 Home Version 20H2. [Brett: This will be different for everyone depending on which model they have.]

    Here are the instructions and requirements on how to download and reset your Surface device using the USB recovery image.

    REQUIREMENTS:

    1.     Stable internet connection

    2.     Device/PC/Computer must stay awake during the download process, which will take several hours, depending on your internet speed.

    3.     USB flash drive (DO NOT use external hard drive). Minimum storage capacity needed base on Surface type:

    ·         Surface RT and Surface 2 – at least 8 GB in size

    ·         Surface Pro models, Surface 3 and latest - at least 16 GB

    NOTE: Creating a recovery drive will erase all existing files that are stored on the USB flash drive. Make sure to transfer any important data on your USB flash drive to another storage device before you proceed.

    INSTRUCTIONS AND VIDEO: https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/4023512/surface-creating-and-using-a-usb-recovery-drive

    Download USB Recovery Image - http://aka.ms/sri "

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-01-06T23:35:59+00:00

    Any solution on this yet? I'm having the same issue. Any word from microsoft or are they ignoring this one? Thanks guys, I'm not going to bother with the troubleshooting if it doesn't work.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-01-05T04:55:46+00:00

    Hello Brett,

    I faced the same issues (touch screen, the facial recognition via Windows Hello) not working after a few minutes of inactivity.

    I have performed the steps below yet do not result in a permanent solution.

    1. Performed Surface Diagnostic Toolkit but no irregularity displayed.
    2. There is also no remaining Windows Update.
    3. System File Checker - The restore operation was completed successfully with Verification 100% completed

    Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

    1. Uninstalling HID-Compliant Touch Screen and Intel(R) Precise Touch Device in Device Manager doesn't work.
    2. Restarting the device only works as a temporary solution as the same issue reoccurs after a few minutes of inactivity.

    It is doesn't make sense to restart every single time and I'm looking for more of a permanent solution.

    Appreciate it if you could share any solution shared by Microsoft Support. Thank you

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-01-05T04:41:21+00:00

    Thanks for the suggestion. I just tried it on my SP7 and the problems persist (camera, touchscreen and type cover waking the device). I've contacted Microsoft Support so we'll see whether they can resolve it...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments