Surface Pro 8 Camera Not Working - yet white light remains on?

Anonymous
2023-06-06T16:36:41+00:00

Split from this thread.

I too have a similar problem with the camera and Surface Pro 8. I use Windows Hello to log in and after the device has been left for some time the device will unlock but if you then try to use video in a Teams call the screen will be blank and it will report that no camera is present. I have run Windows update, Updated the camera drivers, and run the surface app to check the firmware is up to date. run the Surface hardware diagnostic tool. None of these found any problem.

I have updated the Teams Client, and tested with both the desktop and web client. when having the issues and the problem it present on both.

I full reboot will get the camera working but that is not possible when in the middle of a call.

The only way to fix it without rebooting is to open the device manager and disable and then enable the camera. This will normally fix the video in Teams.

We are a small company but we all run Surface Pro 8's managed by Autopilot/Intune with very little in the way of additional software. All are less than 12 months old. More than 50% of the staff are having issues with video calls within Teams after a period of inactivity.

Surface | Surface Pro | Sound and camera

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2023-06-06T21:02:05+00:00

    Hi Kenneth Hutson,

    Thank you for reaching Microsoft Community. We apologize for the trouble this has put you in. We value the time and effort you invested in attempting to solve this problem. Let us work on this together.

    Recovery of the camera is possible by performing one of the following steps below. Kindly retest camera functionality after each step.

    Reboot the device – a simple reboot may recover the camera.

    Long button press – Press and hold down the power button until your Surface shuts down and restarts and you see the Windows logo screen (about 20 seconds), then release the power button.

    Uninstall/Reinstall driver.

    1. Open Device Manager and locate the camera device that has failed, and you want to roll back the driver.
    2. After locating the adapter, tap and hold, or right click on the name and choose Uninstall. The Uninstall windows will open.
    3. Check the box next to “Delete the driver software for this device”, then click OK
    4. Restart the PC.

    Manually download Drivers and firmware for your Surface.

    Check what is the current OS Build of your Windows version. On the search box type Winver and hit the enter key.

    Go to Download driver and firmware for Surface, choose Surface Pro. Then click the link next to Surface Pro 8 then click Download on the next page. Choose the .msi file that matches your current OS Build and click Next. After downloading, run and install the .msi then Restart. 

    Let me know how it goes.

    Kind regards,

    Lavenia

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-06-07T07:03:06+00:00

    Lavenia.

    Thanks for your reply. As you say normally, rebooting the device will recover the camera but yesterday the Surface would not unlock with Windows Hello, but the camera was working in Teams. After a reboot, it would still not log in via Windows Hello. Most of the time the problem is after a period of inactivity where the Surface goes into sleep mode.

    I manually downloaded the drivers/firmware as suggested and will monitor it over the next few days. I note that the driver version before and after the manual driver install is the same 29/8/2022 60.22000.5.9037.

    Ken.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-06-07T19:20:26+00:00

    I appreciate you for responding back, Kenneth Hutson. And sorry if you're having trouble logging in via Windows Hello.

    Kindly please try the suggested steps provided from this article Troubleshoot problems with Windows Hello - Microsoft Support and see it this helps. Or you may update the Biometrics driver in Device Manager.

    Open Device Manager and expand the "Biometrics" category, right click on the biometric driver and select update driver. If issue persist, you may also reinstall the driver. Note: If prompt to permanently delete the driver when uninstalling, leave the box uncheck and select Uninstall. Then restart your Surface.

    I hope the issue with your Camera while using Teams won't recur. I'll wait for your update on this thread.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-06-08T07:40:24+00:00

    As I mentioned I did manually install the latest firmware and the camera/Hello worked ok for the rest of the day. Both unlocking with Windows Hello and Teams video was OK. At the end of the day the Surface went to sleep and when I tried to wake it back up the camera light came on but the screen remained blank and would not log on. After several attempts it blue screened and the Surface rebooted.

    As suggested I have now reinstalled the biometric driver and will continue to monitor.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-06-11T19:47:56+00:00

    Thank you for clarifying, Kenneth Hutson. Let's keep an eye on it for a few days to make sure the issue doesn't recur.

    I'll wait for your update on this thread.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments