Surface Pro 8 Camera Not Working - yet white light remains on?

Anonymous
2023-06-06T16:36:41+00:00

Split from this thread.

I too have a similar problem with the camera and Surface Pro 8. I use Windows Hello to log in and after the device has been left for some time the device will unlock but if you then try to use video in a Teams call the screen will be blank and it will report that no camera is present. I have run Windows update, Updated the camera drivers, and run the surface app to check the firmware is up to date. run the Surface hardware diagnostic tool. None of these found any problem.

I have updated the Teams Client, and tested with both the desktop and web client. when having the issues and the problem it present on both.

I full reboot will get the camera working but that is not possible when in the middle of a call.

The only way to fix it without rebooting is to open the device manager and disable and then enable the camera. This will normally fix the video in Teams.

We are a small company but we all run Surface Pro 8's managed by Autopilot/Intune with very little in the way of additional software. All are less than 12 months old. More than 50% of the staff are having issues with video calls within Teams after a period of inactivity.

Surface | Surface Pro | Sound and camera

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-01-10T22:49:51+00:00

    Hi,

    I have a Surface Pro 8. Unfortunately, I have the same issues with my camera while using Teams and Google Meet. It suddenly freezes or turns off. Has anyone here tried using an external webcam? I mean those that are clipped on the top of the device. Do you think it works?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-01-09T14:29:16+00:00

    My Surface Pro 8 Camera wasn't working and the long press as described above resolved it. Thank you!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-12-20T14:36:57+00:00

    I wish you guys would just fix the issues. When everyone here is complaining about the camera not working or failing when they are already on video calls and every single one of your solutions involves rebooting the computer. We are already on the calls. We do not want to have to exit the call, and get back on after the computer reboots. We want our computers to work.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-12-18T16:32:08+00:00

    Thanks Adam. Unfortunately, this did not work for me. On Friday I applied the updates from https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/785597/intel-arc-iris-xe-graphics-windows.html 
    and today was greeted with the error about not being able to start the camera while trying to wake the PC to log in. FWIW, I'm on a Surface Pro 8 using the Windows 11 22H2 and Intel Xe Graphics.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-12-15T08:34:48+00:00

    Try updating the graphics drivers manually .. it seems like that fixed it on my Surface 8, finally. https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/785597/intel-arc-iris-xe-graphics-windows.html 

    These gfx drivers (Intel Xe on my system) apparently arn't always pushed to latest Intel version via windows update b/c it appears the surface team does QA on them before pushing them out.. (this is a good thing generally.. )

    but it seems like as a result of that process things that fix bugs like this sometimes lag a little. Hopefully this works for others.

    Thank you so much Adam for this solution! It seems to have worked for me too!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments