Surface Pro 8 Camera Not Working - yet white light remains on?

Anonymous
2023-06-06T16:36:41+00:00

Split from this thread.

I too have a similar problem with the camera and Surface Pro 8. I use Windows Hello to log in and after the device has been left for some time the device will unlock but if you then try to use video in a Teams call the screen will be blank and it will report that no camera is present. I have run Windows update, Updated the camera drivers, and run the surface app to check the firmware is up to date. run the Surface hardware diagnostic tool. None of these found any problem.

I have updated the Teams Client, and tested with both the desktop and web client. when having the issues and the problem it present on both.

I full reboot will get the camera working but that is not possible when in the middle of a call.

The only way to fix it without rebooting is to open the device manager and disable and then enable the camera. This will normally fix the video in Teams.

We are a small company but we all run Surface Pro 8's managed by Autopilot/Intune with very little in the way of additional software. All are less than 12 months old. More than 50% of the staff are having issues with video calls within Teams after a period of inactivity.

Surface | Surface Pro | Sound and camera

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-01-23T22:10:34+00:00

    It could be. There were a few updates on 16/1/2024 that may have solved the issue.

    Not every Surface Pro model reacts in the same way even if they are the same model and version.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-01-23T22:08:55+00:00

    As IT I have Surface Laptop 4, not the Pro version but Windows Hello Face Recognition was causing issues for me as well. This would happen a few times a week. I'd lock my PC and walk away, when I come back and try to sign in it'd freeze with a black screen however keyboard lights are on. No matter what I do, it'd not come back to life so I'd have to hard shut down and turn it on again. That became annoying if I was to leave my PC doing something but walk away so I had to turn that setting off. Since that never froze again. So, unfortunately, I'd suggest turning it off as long as your camera works in teams, zoom, etc..

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-01-23T19:03:32+00:00

    For the record, I have a Surface Pro 7 (not the 7+). I never saw any updates about firmware updates for this older system in this chat, but I was on a Zoom call with a client for two hours on 1/19/24 without the camera failing. Admittedly, I was screensharing most of that time, but my camera still registered when I swapped back when I was done sharing, and turned off as it should when I ended the call.

    This is significant progress, though I'm a little wary of celebrating, given how often this bug crops up. So, possibly the problem has been solved on the Surface Pro 7 (and without having to do anything on my part).

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-01-23T16:57:39+00:00

    I have the latest firmware installed. The frequency of issues seems to have gone down. But today I had the issue again where I couldn't login using facial recognition. It was one week without any issues, yesterday it took a 2nd attempt to unlock with the camera.

    So it seems to be not the solution for me.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more