Surface Pro 8 Camera Not Working - yet white light remains on?

Anonymous
2023-06-06T16:36:41+00:00

Split from this thread.

I too have a similar problem with the camera and Surface Pro 8. I use Windows Hello to log in and after the device has been left for some time the device will unlock but if you then try to use video in a Teams call the screen will be blank and it will report that no camera is present. I have run Windows update, Updated the camera drivers, and run the surface app to check the firmware is up to date. run the Surface hardware diagnostic tool. None of these found any problem.

I have updated the Teams Client, and tested with both the desktop and web client. when having the issues and the problem it present on both.

I full reboot will get the camera working but that is not possible when in the middle of a call.

The only way to fix it without rebooting is to open the device manager and disable and then enable the camera. This will normally fix the video in Teams.

We are a small company but we all run Surface Pro 8's managed by Autopilot/Intune with very little in the way of additional software. All are less than 12 months old. More than 50% of the staff are having issues with video calls within Teams after a period of inactivity.

Surface | Surface Pro | Sound and camera

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-02-21T12:41:27+00:00

    I had the same problem on my surface pro 8. Once i had tried resetting after a clean format, it was successful but some days later it had came back.

    I sent replacement for Microsoft device support as they have instructed, the replaced one had no same problem.

    I think it is because some different modules are used in the same model.

    Hope it will help.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-02-21T08:57:06+00:00

    I too faces similar problem. I am using surface pro 7, always during some meet (like google meet) my camera stops working. I tried all the options like drive updates, reinstallation etc. Still it stops working. It will be ready if I reboot, but after sometime again the camera stops working. It disturbs a lot especially during some important meetings and I think Microsoft should look into this and find a solution for this.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-02-15T23:07:36+00:00

    Yes, for our business, firmware and graphic card updates didn't solve the issue for 2 devices (SP8). I had to replace them and send them to warranty. I probably sent over 25 devices to warrant last year. Imagine the time wasted by an IT person for just a camera issue, especially if it's such a small team.

    I haven't seen any other brand devices having the camera issue.

    Agree about products. For the same price, you can get Surface Laptop 5 which works rock solid. So, I don't recommend any business Surface Pro models. Personal use may be okay but I'd still not buy for personal use either whilst can get a laptop version for the same price.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-02-15T17:58:13+00:00

    Same here. Surface Pro 8, applied January updates (and the one before that, and so forth...) Still getting the same issues with Windows Hello and Camera light stuck on.

    It's a little discouraging to hear that the SP9 is working well, as it leaves one to feel that the problem could be addressed on the SP8 if it were a higher priority.

    For what it's worth, getting the impression that my one-generation-back product is being ignored will have some impact on my future Surface shopping plans.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-02-15T17:15:09+00:00

    Surface Pro 8

    Still experiencing the same issues mentioned in this thread after the 1/2024 firmware/driver updates and the troubleshooting steps suggested. Issues include:

    • Windows Hello randomly stops working with camera
    • Camera and camera light get stuck 'on' randomly
    • Camera fails during video conferencing, specifically crashing/freezing Zoom calls
    • Rebooting is the only way to get the camera back to functioning normally, but isn't a solution that lasts very long before the issues crop up again

    Have a SP9 for work which has been very stable and seen more driver/firmware updates to address camera stability. SP8 desperately needs this same attention.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments