Surface Pro 4 - Screen won't wake from sleep

Anonymous
2015-10-27T05:32:42+00:00

I received my Surface Pro 4 today and it worked fine. I put it on "sleep" for awhile, came back and turned it on. Once again it worked fine. I made an error and instead of putting it on "sleep" I  hit the power button to turn it off when I finished. Now it won't come on at all. The screen stays dark. If I push the power button I can see lights under the keyboard keys, then if I hit the power switch again they go off. But nothing happens to the screen no matter what I do. Has anyone else suffered from this?

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-08-19T19:27:34+00:00

It works fine for me after the Anniversary Update to Windows 10 Pro (Version 1607). It no longer goes into a coma.

I just traveled all week. Put my Surface Pro 4 (SP4) to sleep 10 to 20 times each day, and currently my task manager shows the up time to be 7:21:35:21 - 7 days! It is actually working the way I expected it to when I bought it!

It was such a relief to not be scared to put it to sleep during meeting breaks to save battery when working with my Pen and OneNote. For the past 7 months I've had to have it on power when in meetings so that it wouldn't go into a coma. That was always so embarrassing.

You can update to the latest version of Windows 10 by opening Settings > Update & security > Windows Update, and selecting Check for updates.

Was this answer helpful?

10 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2,411 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-03-27T22:49:49+00:00

    Problem occurs when undocked, using it as a laptop with keyboard plugged in

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-03-27T22:49:58+00:00

    Best thing to do is return the SP4.

    Next best thing is to set it to "never" sleep, then set to hibernate at desired time, say 60 minutes. Set screen to turn off after desired time (a few minutes) to save power. Set power buttons and lid to make it hibernate.

    This way sleep never happens. Not perfect but the best of a stupid situation.

    Mike.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-03-27T22:55:30+00:00

    I doubt i'll be sending it back because other than that little problem quite a few seem to have, its been working great. And as you mentioned I've just made sure it doesn't go to sleep now.

    Thanks anyway.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-03-28T00:04:53+00:00

    Hello, Microsoft?  Is anybody home there?  Why the silence?  We're still waiting (after several months) for you to make this right.  Clearly this is a fairly widespread problem - I'm glad some users have no problem, but I have not yet personally met anyone with an SP4 or SB that actually works as it should, and I've spent way too much time hanging around the Microsoft Store, so I've met plenty.

    It's been reported that Microsoft uses Surface devices heavily internally.  If that's the case, we can only assume that they're configured VERY differently from what your customers have to put up with.  Here's a tip for you:  Make EVERY Microsoft employee with a Surface Pro 4 and/or Surface Book run their machines and do their work using ONLY what's available to customers BY DEFAULT through Windows Update.  Do NOT allow them to use any other kind of PC to get any of their work done.

    I'm betting the internal pressure may lead to a much faster resolution of these problems.  It's quite obvious that Microsoft's priorities are inverted, since there is little to no care or concern over what actual paying customers are having to put up with to tryto get their work done.

    Lastly, you're getting away with this solely because you currently have no competition (other full tablet computers that have decent pens and run a real OS.)  If you don't take care of your customers, they will leave as soon as they have an alternative.  Right now, the alternative is pretty much Apple, and with their current products, you have to spend more to buy both a MacBook and an iPad Pro to do the job. 

    Given the current problems and your lack of responsiveness, how many people do you think would buy or keep Surface Pro 4s or Surface Books if Apple introduced a "MacPad Pro" with a touchscreen that works with the Apple Pencil? (Even if Apple priced it at $300-400 more than Surface's already premium prices - Apple seems to take the "it just works" thing seriously.)  Look at the number of people on this forum who have given up in disgust and returned their SP4s or SBs and tell me you're not well on the way to again making Microsoft the "anti-brand" it was just a few years ago...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments