Surface Pro 4 - Screen won't wake from sleep

Anonymous
2015-10-27T05:32:42+00:00

I received my Surface Pro 4 today and it worked fine. I put it on "sleep" for awhile, came back and turned it on. Once again it worked fine. I made an error and instead of putting it on "sleep" I  hit the power button to turn it off when I finished. Now it won't come on at all. The screen stays dark. If I push the power button I can see lights under the keyboard keys, then if I hit the power switch again they go off. But nothing happens to the screen no matter what I do. Has anyone else suffered from this?

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-08-19T19:27:34+00:00

It works fine for me after the Anniversary Update to Windows 10 Pro (Version 1607). It no longer goes into a coma.

I just traveled all week. Put my Surface Pro 4 (SP4) to sleep 10 to 20 times each day, and currently my task manager shows the up time to be 7:21:35:21 - 7 days! It is actually working the way I expected it to when I bought it!

It was such a relief to not be scared to put it to sleep during meeting breaks to save battery when working with my Pen and OneNote. For the past 7 months I've had to have it on power when in meetings so that it wouldn't go into a coma. That was always so embarrassing.

You can update to the latest version of Windows 10 by opening Settings > Update & security > Windows Update, and selecting Check for updates.

Was this answer helpful?

10 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2,411 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-03-25T13:54:06+00:00

    My sp4 always wakes from sleep and 4‰ per hour is perfectly acceptable to me.  I don't understand why u would keep any laptop in sleep for such extended periods of of time when hibernate is available and has zero power consumption.  I have also yet to understand the burning need for connected standby on battery.  Please explain why this feature is so necessary?

    Have you ever owned a tablet? It's so you can open it instantly an everything is up to date, it's synced in the background like a phone. This is not a laptop, it's a tablet! Hibernate isn't even enabled, you have to go specifically enable it like a power user. You do realize 4% per hour is unacceptable right?! Even with S3 sleep (the old sleep before Skylake) that's a lot, but with the new sleep mode it should be like a phone except without having to communicate with a cellular network in case of a call.

    Ohh and THATS what we paid for also...not hibernate, and a sleep mode that works about as well as it did in the year 2000

    Please, spare me your condescending attitude. I purchased the sp4 for it's portability, power and high res screen as the best in class laptop not as a giant 2lb marginally acceptable tablet.  It has not disappointed.  I can wait an extra 10 seconds for it to power on and connect.  If I want instant on I can use my tablet or my smartphone.  I am not going to let one not very significant problem spoil my otherwise excellent experience with the sp4.  Every device I have owned has had it's faults.  That was my point but apparently you needed it spelled out.  I'm not going to discuss this further.  If you want this to spoil your sp4 experience that's your problem and your life. 

    This in no way excuses Microsoft from their commitments and responsibilities and fixing connected standby is one of them.  As for the the sp4 failing to wake from standby for some owners(not me), that is a serious problem which Microsoft needs to address without delay and I sympathize with all those who have this problem.

    I agree, besides the sleep issues which lead to battery issues, this thing is awesome! And you are correct it comes out of hibernate in less than 10 seconds.

    That said, I use mine as Desktop, Laptop, and Tablet...that's why I love the thing. It's my only device, so battery is important.

    So you understand before the 2/17 update I set it to sleep after a few minutes. That way if I was distracted I could get back to work instantly. Now it doesn't sleep, and I don't hibernate until maybe 15 minutes of no usage. It takes a toll on the battery life and the experience. I can't even imagine what it would be like for users who don't know how to enable hibernate as an option.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-03-25T15:54:49+00:00

    I understand it CAN be made to work a bit better with Hibernate, but IT"S OBVIOUSLY NOT supposed to need that.  Microsoft deliberately chose to hide even the ability to SEE Hibernate as an option in Power Options (which you have to jump over the crevasse back to the old control panel to even get to...)  Clearly, the Surface line is SUPPOSED to work by SLEEPING, NOT HIBERNATING.  (In other words, hibernate is NOT an acceptable workaround, apparently even to Microsoft, or they'd change the defaults.)

    I've turned off the useless (to me) WiFi-while-sleeping stuff (which they provide controls for Settings, I unchecked both boxes), but everything else is just as Microsoft configured it - so there is NO excuse for this not working. 

    (I also set it to never sleep when plugged in/docked, but that's just to save my sanity and make my SP4 marginally useful - otherwise, I'd have to reboot this thing and restart my work dozens of times a day, since it wedges up hard almost every time it wakes.  It might be a bit better when docked, since I don't use the keyboard cover then, but I really never need it to sleep when plugged in, so I'm just not even going to give them the chance to hork up my computer any more often than they already do - especially since my previous SP4 wound up terminally corrupted from a forced reboot because it wouldn't wake...)

    BTW, losing 1/3 of battery life when sleeping overnight is completely unacceptable, for either a laptop or a tablet...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-03-25T16:17:48+00:00

    I completely agree. How MS is still in business is a bit of a mystery, they continue to make stuff that is problematic.

    Mike.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-03-25T17:42:16+00:00

    I have since bought a retina Macbook Pro 15.4" 16:10 ratio and cannot be happier. If I need a touch device I'll get the iPad pro 9.7".

    Returning the NON-FUNCTIONING Surface Pro 4 was the best decision I've made. You can't have an issue since November not resolved 5 months later!!!!!

    There is a reason Apple didn't jump into Skylake, it's full of bugs. Apple products JUST WORK, something Microsoft will never have.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments