Surface Pro 4 - Screen won't wake from sleep

Anonymous
2015-10-27T05:32:42+00:00

I received my Surface Pro 4 today and it worked fine. I put it on "sleep" for awhile, came back and turned it on. Once again it worked fine. I made an error and instead of putting it on "sleep" I  hit the power button to turn it off when I finished. Now it won't come on at all. The screen stays dark. If I push the power button I can see lights under the keyboard keys, then if I hit the power switch again they go off. But nothing happens to the screen no matter what I do. Has anyone else suffered from this?

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-08-19T19:27:34+00:00

It works fine for me after the Anniversary Update to Windows 10 Pro (Version 1607). It no longer goes into a coma.

I just traveled all week. Put my Surface Pro 4 (SP4) to sleep 10 to 20 times each day, and currently my task manager shows the up time to be 7:21:35:21 - 7 days! It is actually working the way I expected it to when I bought it!

It was such a relief to not be scared to put it to sleep during meeting breaks to save battery when working with my Pen and OneNote. For the past 7 months I've had to have it on power when in meetings so that it wouldn't go into a coma. That was always so embarrassing.

You can update to the latest version of Windows 10 by opening Settings > Update & security > Windows Update, and selecting Check for updates.

Was this answer helpful?

10 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2,411 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-03-24T13:45:38+00:00

    still issue with beta driver 20.19.15.4404  (03/03/2016)

    and this morning i found SP4 very hot with fan over speed. But yesterday i closed the type cover = standby

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-03-24T14:06:56+00:00

    I am still having this same issue, eve after installing the 2/17 update and verifying it was installed

    ![](http://fud.community.services.support.microsoft.com/Fud/FileDownloadHandler.ashx?fid=7ccafe2d-a6df-48d5-a955-e2a29ef2d8f1)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-03-24T16:10:41+00:00

    My sp4 i7 512 works right and never fails to wake from sleep as do 4 other sp4s (i5s) I have setup for clients.  I do have the issue of excessive battery usage during sleep but I find it a minimal issue since I have configured my sp4 to hibernate after 30 minutes which it does even from sleep.  I do have fast startup disabled as I prefer a fully refreshed OS when I power up.  Nothing special about my installs and updates other then installing the latest betas.  I create system restore points once a week and always before installing new drivers and software.  I get 6 to 7 hours on the battery at 40% brightness with battery saver enabled and light usage(browsing, emails, ustream, etc).  Observation: if you use the keyboard a lot keep the keyboard backlight at it's lowest setting, it will give you noticeably more battery time and put a bluetooth shortcut on your desktop so you can quickly disable it when not using. 

    My point is that there are good sp4s out there.  This forum is like a doctors office.  Everyone here is sick. If u only see sick people you might tend to believe everyone is sick.  On the other hand Microsoft's bedside manner has been less then acceptable.

    Perhaps your experience is a bit non-representative because you have you computer going to hibernate relatively quickly. I wonder if you were to not have it hibernate if you wold see the issue. Also, the excessive battery drain is still not acceptable.

    #SurfacePro4 #nowake

    My takeaway from SteveG47’s comment is that his sleep state is likely burning (reducing his battery) at a higher rate and as such, doesn’t have the sleep/wake problem.  Before the Feb 17, 2016 update, my sleep battery drain was consistently at around 400mW’s per hour.  I had no sleep/wake issue.  After the update, constant wake problems but my sleep battery drain dropped significantly – sometimes to a single digit mW #. 

    I rolled back all of the drivers that had been updated which got me mostly back to normal.  Still, I’d get a random wake issue but over time I learned it wasn’t so random.  For my SP4 i5,  it happens while on battery just after a full charge.  Not every time, but many times.  As a test, I started putting it into hibernate each time I fully charge and I went over 4 days without a wake issue until it timed-out into sleep while on battery just after a full charge.  For my experience, I’ve learned that updates cause problems. 

    Your assumptions are incorrect.  Out of curiosity I changed my power settings so I could place my sp4 in sleep without it going to hibernate.  Last night I placed the sp4 with 100% charge in sleep on battery at 11pm by closing the keyboard cover.  This morning at 7am the sp4 woke immediately with no problems and after 8 hours on sleep the battery was at 67% charge.  These are very acceptable numbers.  I should note that I have connected wifi disabled, I have fast startup disabled, I have the latest Intel beta installed and the latest windows update KB3140741 installed 3/22.  I also have the latest Samsung NVMe controller driver installed(v1.4.7.17)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-03-24T16:36:53+00:00

    Hi all,

    Having fallen victim to the VIDEO_TDR_TIMEOUT_DETECTED issue previously, it seems like there is yet another type cover issue with my surface pro 4!

    I've noticed that after start up the screen stays black with a white cursor and absolutely nothing happens, ctrl alt del does nothing to get any response from the machine. The only way to get out of this was to give the machine a hard restart.

    Looking at the event viewer after restarting, I have the following error in the log:

    ![](http://fud.community.services.support.microsoft.com/Fud/FileDownloadHandler.ashx?fid=7d22f8bb-397b-41a2-b69c-71087562acd3)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments