Surface Pro 4 - Screen won't wake from sleep

Anonymous
2015-10-27T05:32:42+00:00

I received my Surface Pro 4 today and it worked fine. I put it on "sleep" for awhile, came back and turned it on. Once again it worked fine. I made an error and instead of putting it on "sleep" I  hit the power button to turn it off when I finished. Now it won't come on at all. The screen stays dark. If I push the power button I can see lights under the keyboard keys, then if I hit the power switch again they go off. But nothing happens to the screen no matter what I do. Has anyone else suffered from this?

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-08-19T19:27:34+00:00

It works fine for me after the Anniversary Update to Windows 10 Pro (Version 1607). It no longer goes into a coma.

I just traveled all week. Put my Surface Pro 4 (SP4) to sleep 10 to 20 times each day, and currently my task manager shows the up time to be 7:21:35:21 - 7 days! It is actually working the way I expected it to when I bought it!

It was such a relief to not be scared to put it to sleep during meeting breaks to save battery when working with my Pen and OneNote. For the past 7 months I've had to have it on power when in meetings so that it wouldn't go into a coma. That was always so embarrassing.

You can update to the latest version of Windows 10 by opening Settings > Update & security > Windows Update, and selecting Check for updates.

Was this answer helpful?

10 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2,411 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-03-23T16:23:12+00:00

    I have read many posts about this issue and have updated my SP4 to the latest updates. However, my machine will still go to sleep and the only way to get it to come back on is a hard re-start (hold power button and the volume up button). Does anyone else have any good ideas of a possible solution?

    Thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-03-23T16:33:41+00:00

    And expensive product...I doled out a lot of money, didn't realize I was going to be on the bleeding edge.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-03-23T17:26:01+00:00

    This isn't (or shouldn't be) bleeding edge stuff.  MS & Intel, if you can't get SP0 sleep working, at least give us something that will reliably wake, even if it means that we're stuck with less than half of the battery life you promised.  (It's clear that one reason the SP4 and SB are so thin is that the engineers downsized the battery packs, thinking that they'd more than make it up with ultra low power sleep.  That's not working out so well, especially for those of us stuck with the only mobile devices on the planet that can't wake up instantly from sleep - or often, even wake up at all...)

    Here's one more data point:  My SP4 actually CAN wake somewhat reliably IFF (if and only if) I NEVER attach the keyboard cover after undocking it, again boosting my contention that what's involved here is a set of deadlocks and/or other race conditions involving two or more of the power management control loops in (at least) the Skylake CPU/chipset, Surface firmware, the Windows OS itself, and the keyboard cover (yes, it has it's own firmware - I remember a keyboard cover firmware update pushed about the time I bought my first SP3), and possibly, the docks.

    I strongly suspect that these power state control loops are fighting like strange bulldogs in a bag, and that's what makes this "a really hard computer science problem" as Microsoft characterized it last year* in one of their only actual acknowledgements of the existence of the problem, before whitewashing it by pretending that the 2/17 firmware update fixed everything. (It clearly actually made things much worse for many SP4 and Surface Book owners.)

    * The relevant paragraph is: "We couldn't do it at RTM for a variety of reasons, power management is a very hard computer science problem to solve especially with new silicon.  Currently it is not in the deepest "sleep" that it can be so there are wake events that would not otherwise wake it.  We will have an update for this issue sometime soon in the new year."  - From http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/forum/surfpro4-surfperf/surface-pro-4-display-adapter-crash/16f08be5-10c0-434c-b1f5-e2cf82e018b1?page=33&auth=1

    MICROSOFT:  It would be nice if you would at least admit that this STILL isn't working - and in fact isn't even close!!!  I think I'd rather have the nearly continuous fan-running back in exchange for the ability to sleep again - how about a way to downgrade the Surface firmware, since you obviously aren't capable of fixing it?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-03-23T19:03:55+00:00

    Hello TShel.

    Sorry to hear about your issue. I work on an IT helpdesk and we are deploying the Microsoft Surface to end users and I have seen this before. I actually use a Surface daily for my work.

    Just so we are not missing anything, when in sleep mode do you just press the power button?

    I usually hold mine down for about 1 second before it comes out.

    You may also want to search for Windows updates when it has booted. It may be a software/firmware update that needs to be installed.

    Let me know how it goes.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments