Surface Pro 4 - Screen won't wake from sleep

Anonymous
2015-10-27T05:32:42+00:00

I received my Surface Pro 4 today and it worked fine. I put it on "sleep" for awhile, came back and turned it on. Once again it worked fine. I made an error and instead of putting it on "sleep" I  hit the power button to turn it off when I finished. Now it won't come on at all. The screen stays dark. If I push the power button I can see lights under the keyboard keys, then if I hit the power switch again they go off. But nothing happens to the screen no matter what I do. Has anyone else suffered from this?

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-08-19T19:27:34+00:00

It works fine for me after the Anniversary Update to Windows 10 Pro (Version 1607). It no longer goes into a coma.

I just traveled all week. Put my Surface Pro 4 (SP4) to sleep 10 to 20 times each day, and currently my task manager shows the up time to be 7:21:35:21 - 7 days! It is actually working the way I expected it to when I bought it!

It was such a relief to not be scared to put it to sleep during meeting breaks to save battery when working with my Pen and OneNote. For the past 7 months I've had to have it on power when in meetings so that it wouldn't go into a coma. That was always so embarrassing.

You can update to the latest version of Windows 10 by opening Settings > Update & security > Windows Update, and selecting Check for updates.

Was this answer helpful?

10 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2,411 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-03-23T13:23:15+00:00

    I've been battling this issue as well since purcashing a Surface Pro 4 i5 8GB 256GB in December '15.

    Only recently updated to the 17/2/16 firmware update and same issue persists, wont wake up from sleep or hibernate.

    Happy to report after applying Intel 20.19.15.4404 (03/03/2016) Beta driver for Intel Graphics HD 520 I have not had a single black screen and no issues waking from sleep/hibernate.

    Please note prior to updating to 20.19.15.4404 beta driver it would not apply on Surface Pro 4 prior to 17/2/16 upgrade, I would get a weird blue screen, BSOD and reboot. After I applied 17/2/16 Surface Pro 4 upgrade and Windows 10 patches, I was able to apply the latest Intel beta driver succesfully and running for the past 48 hours without an issue.

    Cheers

    i do it on my SP4 i7 .

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-03-23T14:17:44+00:00

    I have tried the 4404 beta but had the same 'wake' issues.

    Observation MS if your taking notes?????

    I bought a cool new surface 'curve' mouse which I must say is about the neatest and most reliable MS product Ive had in a long time.

    Opened up my SP4-M3 to a black screen, KB lights on and no response.....yet again.

    While screwing around with keystroke combo's I accidentally bumped the mouse on my nightstand.....

    IT WOKE UP.......

    tried to input my password...... NOTHING

    In fact the surface did NOT recognize any input from the keyboard or its mousepad.....

    USING THE CURVE BT MOUSE, I forced a reboot from the login screen to recover from the failure.

    Appears to me that your totally loosing communication with the KB while sleepin........ DOH!

    C'MON MAN.....

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-03-23T14:30:47+00:00

    Set my SP4 (i5,8GB) Power Plan to

    [on battery]

    Display Off - after 5 mins

    Sleep - only after 1 hr

    While On Sleep - Hibernate After 10 mins

    Just to be on safer side

    [Low Battery Level - 10%

    Low Battery Action - Hibernate]

    [on power] Assuming that I am leaving it on, to do something.

    Display Off - after 15 mins

    Sleep - Never

    Adjust these settings to suit your work pattern.  Seems like the longer sleep is giving this problem. Though it's not a solution, at least less frustration today.

    While taking lengthy break make sure you shutdown or put the machine on power.

    Good luck! awaiting a proper solution from Microsoft.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-03-23T14:36:14+00:00

    After 133 pages of this issue in the forum, I really wonder why there is no acknowledgements/support from Microsoft.

    We're not talking about an isolated issue here.

    If I was shopping for a Surface and saw this forum, I would sure wait or change my mind.

    We're talking "flagship" product here.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments