Surface Pro 4 - Screen won't wake from sleep

Anonymous
2015-10-27T05:32:42+00:00

I received my Surface Pro 4 today and it worked fine. I put it on "sleep" for awhile, came back and turned it on. Once again it worked fine. I made an error and instead of putting it on "sleep" I  hit the power button to turn it off when I finished. Now it won't come on at all. The screen stays dark. If I push the power button I can see lights under the keyboard keys, then if I hit the power switch again they go off. But nothing happens to the screen no matter what I do. Has anyone else suffered from this?

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-08-19T19:27:34+00:00

It works fine for me after the Anniversary Update to Windows 10 Pro (Version 1607). It no longer goes into a coma.

I just traveled all week. Put my Surface Pro 4 (SP4) to sleep 10 to 20 times each day, and currently my task manager shows the up time to be 7:21:35:21 - 7 days! It is actually working the way I expected it to when I bought it!

It was such a relief to not be scared to put it to sleep during meeting breaks to save battery when working with my Pen and OneNote. For the past 7 months I've had to have it on power when in meetings so that it wouldn't go into a coma. That was always so embarrassing.

You can update to the latest version of Windows 10 by opening Settings > Update & security > Windows Update, and selecting Check for updates.

Was this answer helpful?

10 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2,411 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-03-23T01:05:43+00:00

    So you're saying even if it sleeps it later hibernates? How long after going to sleep? Or is it how long after no activity on the PC?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-03-23T01:18:13+00:00

    It really has nothing to do with "sleep", it just hibernates after the amount of time you enter for battery, or plugged in. I assume, that yes like everything else it's based on activity

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-03-23T02:06:58+00:00

    I've had this same intermittent problem waking my Surface Pro 4 since getting it in January. The February 17 hardware update was successfully installed a month ago and has made absolutely no difference, my Surface still hangs on restart several times a week.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-03-23T02:08:54+00:00

    I'm also skeptical that any SP4's fully and completely work as they should.  Mine wakes a little over half the time without the keyboard cover attached.  It virtually never wakes on battery, with the keyboard cover attached, and after sleeping again after one successful waking, whether that sleep is induced by the power button or closing the keyboard cover.   (It will wake the first time after sleep most of the time, but almost never afterwards.)

    Twice in a two-hour span this morning, I was forced again to hold down the power button, wait for a reboot, and re-launch all my apps to get back in a few minutes to where I should have been in a second or two, max.

    I really want to love my SP4, but because of these power management issues, it is the most unreliable, least useful, least usable, and most deceptively advertised computer I've ever owned.  (Remember, the ads for this thing show users happily and instantly doing things like launching OneNote to take notes, opening the cover and instantly working, etc.  And the battery life is claimed to be better than the SP3 - what a sick joke on us - my SP4's battery life is a fraction of my old SP3's.)

    "Upgrading" to this pile of cr4p is the worst computer decision I've ever made, and Microsoft and Intel aren't even willing to own up to the problem, much less fix it!

    I'm one of the least litigious people you'll meet, and would normally oppose a class action suit, but it's time, dammit, especially since MS won't even acknowledge all of us that have computers that are effectively useless - mine is really only usable as a desktop when it's docked - I absolutely cannot use it as a mobile/portable computer.  (Which again, is a far stretch from what's promised in the advertising...)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments