Surface Pro 4 - Screen won't wake from sleep

Anonymous
2015-10-27T05:32:42+00:00

I received my Surface Pro 4 today and it worked fine. I put it on "sleep" for awhile, came back and turned it on. Once again it worked fine. I made an error and instead of putting it on "sleep" I  hit the power button to turn it off when I finished. Now it won't come on at all. The screen stays dark. If I push the power button I can see lights under the keyboard keys, then if I hit the power switch again they go off. But nothing happens to the screen no matter what I do. Has anyone else suffered from this?

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-08-19T19:27:34+00:00

It works fine for me after the Anniversary Update to Windows 10 Pro (Version 1607). It no longer goes into a coma.

I just traveled all week. Put my Surface Pro 4 (SP4) to sleep 10 to 20 times each day, and currently my task manager shows the up time to be 7:21:35:21 - 7 days! It is actually working the way I expected it to when I bought it!

It was such a relief to not be scared to put it to sleep during meeting breaks to save battery when working with my Pen and OneNote. For the past 7 months I've had to have it on power when in meetings so that it wouldn't go into a coma. That was always so embarrassing.

You can update to the latest version of Windows 10 by opening Settings > Update & security > Windows Update, and selecting Check for updates.

Was this answer helpful?

10 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2,411 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-03-22T23:50:33+00:00

    My sp4 i7 512 works right and never fails to wake from sleep as do 4 other sp4s (i5s) I have setup for clients.  I do have the issue of excessive battery usage during sleep but I find it a minimal issue since I have configured my sp4 to hibernate after 30 minutes which it does even from sleep.  I do have fast startup disabled as I prefer a fully refreshed OS when I power up.  Nothing special about my installs and updates other then installing the latest betas.  I create system restore points once a week and always before installing new drivers and software.  I get 6 to 7 hours on the battery at 40% brightness with battery saver enabled and light usage(browsing, emails, ustream, etc).  Observation: if you use the keyboard a lot keep the keyboard backlight at it's lowest setting, it will give you noticeably more battery time and put a bluetooth shortcut on your desktop so you can quickly disable it when not using. 

    My point is that there are good sp4s out there.  This forum is like a doctors office.  Everyone here is sick. If u only see sick people you might tend to believe everyone is sick.  On the other hand Microsoft's bedside manner has been less then acceptable.

    Perhaps your experience is a bit non-representative because you have you computer going to hibernate relatively quickly. I wonder if you were to not have it hibernate if you wold see the issue. Also, the excessive battery drain is still not acceptable.

    #SurfacePro4 #nowake

    My takeaway from SteveG47’s comment is that his sleep state is likely burning (reducing his battery) at a higher rate and as such, doesn’t have the sleep/wake problem.  Before the Feb 17, 2016 update, my sleep battery drain was consistently at around 400mW’s per hour.  I had no sleep/wake issue.  After the update, constant wake problems but my sleep battery drain dropped significantly – sometimes to a single digit mW #. 

    I rolled back all of the drivers that had been updated which got me mostly back to normal.  Still, I’d get a random wake issue but over time I learned it wasn’t so random.  For my SP4 i5,  it happens while on battery just after a full charge.  Not every time, but many times.  As a test, I started putting it into hibernate each time I fully charge and I went over 4 days without a wake issue until it timed-out into sleep while on battery just after a full charge.  For my experience, I’ve learned that updates cause problems.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-03-23T00:11:22+00:00

    You may be onto something here...I don't seem to have the issue when charging the device, only on battery for the most part. Haven't tested the last few weeks, because I set everything to hibernate otherwise SP4 just wasn't usable. I may try you're idea of just rolling back the drivers and blocking those windows updates (they come back down when you roll back)

    As a new test, I uninstalled the three driver updates...not rolled back and ran windows update again, but uninstalled with "Delete the driver software for this device" checked. Then installed the MSI package that Josh F has since added to his response that is a scenario I don't see anyone having. I didn't have any exclamation points, but figured I'd try this anyway and decided to delete the driver software as Josh F so gracious omitted from his "helpful" post.

    I'll report back ONLY if this works for me, but I'm not holding my breath. Chances are I will go back to 100% hibernate and wait for Josh F and Microsoft to get their act together and HELP users seeing the issue, as well as say they are working to FIX anything they are finding.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-03-23T00:48:41+00:00

    Yes that works well, but it would be nice if it auto hibernated if I forgot to close the lid or push the button.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-03-23T00:54:05+00:00

    Easy, go into Power Options...Change Plan Settings...Under Sleep, it's Hibernate After. Doesn't matter if the computer is in sleep or not, it will hibernate

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments