Surface Pro 4 - Screen won't wake from sleep

Anonymous
2015-10-27T05:32:42+00:00

I received my Surface Pro 4 today and it worked fine. I put it on "sleep" for awhile, came back and turned it on. Once again it worked fine. I made an error and instead of putting it on "sleep" I  hit the power button to turn it off when I finished. Now it won't come on at all. The screen stays dark. If I push the power button I can see lights under the keyboard keys, then if I hit the power switch again they go off. But nothing happens to the screen no matter what I do. Has anyone else suffered from this?

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-08-19T19:27:34+00:00

It works fine for me after the Anniversary Update to Windows 10 Pro (Version 1607). It no longer goes into a coma.

I just traveled all week. Put my Surface Pro 4 (SP4) to sleep 10 to 20 times each day, and currently my task manager shows the up time to be 7:21:35:21 - 7 days! It is actually working the way I expected it to when I bought it!

It was such a relief to not be scared to put it to sleep during meeting breaks to save battery when working with my Pen and OneNote. For the past 7 months I've had to have it on power when in meetings so that it wouldn't go into a coma. That was always so embarrassing.

You can update to the latest version of Windows 10 by opening Settings > Update & security > Windows Update, and selecting Check for updates.

Was this answer helpful?

10 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2,411 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-03-22T23:01:32+00:00

    Josh F,

    Still nothing on the problems after the 2/17 updates...even this updated response isn't well thought out. When you uninstall the firmware should you select "Delete the driver software for this device"? Not that I need to try this, I have no exclamation points, just major issues with sleep.

    I mean c'mon, where is the help for the community!?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-03-22T23:22:12+00:00

    How do you make it hibernate after 30 minutes? I only see and option to sleep after 30 minutes. I don't see the hibernate option anywhere in the control panel or under the settings/system/power.

    Thx.

    Mike.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-03-22T23:38:07+00:00

    You can actually make it hibernate when you close the lid, Go to Power and Sleep option in the system settings. At the bottom there will be an "additional power settings" link, click it. On the left side of the new window,there is a link that says "chose what closing the lid does". I recently just changed closing the lid to do nothing, haven't had a black screen issue yet, though... it has been about 5m. Still need to test long term effects. I will just simply press the power button to make it sleep.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-03-22T23:45:02+00:00

    Just tap the power button. It locks it that way, just like a smart phone. No having to go into User Settings.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments