Surface Pro 4 - Screen won't wake from sleep

Anonymous
2015-10-27T05:32:42+00:00

I received my Surface Pro 4 today and it worked fine. I put it on "sleep" for awhile, came back and turned it on. Once again it worked fine. I made an error and instead of putting it on "sleep" I  hit the power button to turn it off when I finished. Now it won't come on at all. The screen stays dark. If I push the power button I can see lights under the keyboard keys, then if I hit the power switch again they go off. But nothing happens to the screen no matter what I do. Has anyone else suffered from this?

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-08-19T19:27:34+00:00

It works fine for me after the Anniversary Update to Windows 10 Pro (Version 1607). It no longer goes into a coma.

I just traveled all week. Put my Surface Pro 4 (SP4) to sleep 10 to 20 times each day, and currently my task manager shows the up time to be 7:21:35:21 - 7 days! It is actually working the way I expected it to when I bought it!

It was such a relief to not be scared to put it to sleep during meeting breaks to save battery when working with my Pen and OneNote. For the past 7 months I've had to have it on power when in meetings so that it wouldn't go into a coma. That was always so embarrassing.

You can update to the latest version of Windows 10 by opening Settings > Update & security > Windows Update, and selecting Check for updates.

Was this answer helpful?

10 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2,411 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-03-22T21:45:17+00:00

    My SP4 had the sleep wake problem but after I updated the Intel Display driver it has worked fine. Feb 5th was the last time I had a wake from sleep issue. Windows updates have not caused me any problems as some have seen.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-03-22T21:52:17+00:00

    Mine was acting up for almost 4 months - which is really a long time and since installing the latest Intel Beta driver 15.40.20.4404 the scenario changed - just like night and day. Since last week my SP4 wakes up 100% of the time (EXCEPT when I disconnect the power supply while the SP4 is sleeping but for me that is not much of a problem) and I also don't have  the heat issue anymore. For me the graphics driver included in the February update was causing more problems. I think this is a very complex problem and complicated may be by some minor hardware revisions.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-03-22T22:45:10+00:00

    Pressing the power button once will lock the screen. I'm not too sure but I believe it is a difference power state than the keyboard closing. It's still new to this Connected Standby technology for PC operating systems. The Surface Pro 3 had this technology and I'm pretty sure it had the same issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-03-22T22:56:01+00:00

    75% of the time my screen will not wake from sleep when not charging my SP4. Sleep worked fine prior to the February 17th updates. I've tried everything, rolling back the updates through devices manager and windows updates, then reinstalling them. Never had any exclamations points in Device Manager but tried it anyway. I've been running without sleep now for weeks as I gave up because my computer wasn't reliable. I was in fear every time it went to sleep.

    I have heard NOTHING from Microsoft on this issue in the other thread so I decided to start a new one based on the mess the February 17th updates have caused me.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments