Surface Pro 4 - Screen won't wake from sleep

Anonymous
2015-10-27T05:32:42+00:00

I received my Surface Pro 4 today and it worked fine. I put it on "sleep" for awhile, came back and turned it on. Once again it worked fine. I made an error and instead of putting it on "sleep" I  hit the power button to turn it off when I finished. Now it won't come on at all. The screen stays dark. If I push the power button I can see lights under the keyboard keys, then if I hit the power switch again they go off. But nothing happens to the screen no matter what I do. Has anyone else suffered from this?

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-08-19T19:27:34+00:00

It works fine for me after the Anniversary Update to Windows 10 Pro (Version 1607). It no longer goes into a coma.

I just traveled all week. Put my Surface Pro 4 (SP4) to sleep 10 to 20 times each day, and currently my task manager shows the up time to be 7:21:35:21 - 7 days! It is actually working the way I expected it to when I bought it!

It was such a relief to not be scared to put it to sleep during meeting breaks to save battery when working with my Pen and OneNote. For the past 7 months I've had to have it on power when in meetings so that it wouldn't go into a coma. That was always so embarrassing.

You can update to the latest version of Windows 10 by opening Settings > Update & security > Windows Update, and selecting Check for updates.

Was this answer helpful?

10 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2,411 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-03-22T21:26:02+00:00

    My sp4 i7 512 works right and never fails to wake from sleep as do 4 other sp4s (i5s) I have setup for clients.  I do have the issue of excessive battery usage during sleep but I find it a minimal issue since I have configured my sp4 to hibernate after 30 minutes which it does even from sleep.  I do have fast startup disabled as I prefer a fully refreshed OS when I power up.  Nothing special about my installs and updates other then installing the latest betas.  I create system restore points once a week and always before installing new drivers and software.  I get 6 to 7 hours on the battery at 40% brightness with battery saver enabled and light usage(browsing, emails, ustream, etc).  Observation: if you use the keyboard a lot keep the keyboard backlight at it's lowest setting, it will give you noticeably more battery time and put a bluetooth shortcut on your desktop so you can quickly disable it when not using. 

    My point is that there are good sp4s out there.  This forum is like a doctors office.  Everyone here is sick. If u only see sick people you might tend to believe everyone is sick.  On the other hand Microsoft's bedside manner has been less then acceptable.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-03-22T21:32:41+00:00

    I'd like to voice the issue I'm having with my SP4 i5 256 model- My device takes 10-15-20 seconds to turn on after waking it from sleep. So what I do is close the keyboard. Opening the keyboard does nothing, ironically. I have a SP2 as well, and this is not an issue with it. This is only happening on my SP4. I have to mash on the keys multiple times to get it to wake up, and also pressing the power button also causes it to wake up with 10-20 second delay as well... :( Any thoughts?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-03-22T21:39:00+00:00

    My sp4 i7 512 works right and never fails to wake from sleep as do 4 other sp4s (i5s) I have setup for clients.  I do have the issue of excessive battery usage during sleep but I find it a minimal issue since I have configured my sp4 to hibernate after 30 minutes which it does even from sleep.  I do have fast startup disabled as I prefer a fully refreshed OS when I power up.  Nothing special about my installs and updates other then installing the latest betas.  I create system restore points once a week and always before installing new drivers and software.  I get 6 to 7 hours on the battery at 40% brightness with battery saver enabled and light usage(browsing, emails, ustream, etc).  Observation: if you use the keyboard a lot keep the keyboard backlight at it's lowest setting, it will give you noticeably more battery time and put a bluetooth shortcut on your desktop so you can quickly disable it when not using. 

    My point is that there are good sp4s out there.  This forum is like a doctors office.  Everyone here is sick. If u only see sick people you might tend to believe everyone is sick.  On the other hand Microsoft's bedside manner has been less then acceptable.

    With all my respect, but you wouldn't see everyone complaining if they are not suffering from such issue. Cause the problem will start to get high on your nerves.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-03-22T21:41:02+00:00

    My sp4 i7 512 works right and never fails to wake from sleep as do 4 other sp4s (i5s) I have setup for clients.  I do have the issue of excessive battery usage during sleep but I find it a minimal issue since I have configured my sp4 to hibernate after 30 minutes which it does even from sleep.  I do have fast startup disabled as I prefer a fully refreshed OS when I power up.  Nothing special about my installs and updates other then installing the latest betas.  I create system restore points once a week and always before installing new drivers and software.  I get 6 to 7 hours on the battery at 40% brightness with battery saver enabled and light usage(browsing, emails, ustream, etc).  Observation: if you use the keyboard a lot keep the keyboard backlight at it's lowest setting, it will give you noticeably more battery time and put a bluetooth shortcut on your desktop so you can quickly disable it when not using. 

    My point is that there are good sp4s out there.  This forum is like a doctors office.  Everyone here is sick. If u only see sick people you might tend to believe everyone is sick.  On the other hand Microsoft's bedside manner has been less then acceptable.

    Perhaps your experience is a bit non-representative because you have you computer going to hibernate relatively quickly. I wonder if you were to not have it hibernate if you wold see the issue. Also, the excessive battery drain is still not acceptable.

    #SurfacePro4 #nowake

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments