Surface Pro 4 - Screen won't wake from sleep

Anonymous
2015-10-27T05:32:42+00:00

I received my Surface Pro 4 today and it worked fine. I put it on "sleep" for awhile, came back and turned it on. Once again it worked fine. I made an error and instead of putting it on "sleep" I  hit the power button to turn it off when I finished. Now it won't come on at all. The screen stays dark. If I push the power button I can see lights under the keyboard keys, then if I hit the power switch again they go off. But nothing happens to the screen no matter what I do. Has anyone else suffered from this?

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-08-19T19:27:34+00:00

It works fine for me after the Anniversary Update to Windows 10 Pro (Version 1607). It no longer goes into a coma.

I just traveled all week. Put my Surface Pro 4 (SP4) to sleep 10 to 20 times each day, and currently my task manager shows the up time to be 7:21:35:21 - 7 days! It is actually working the way I expected it to when I bought it!

It was such a relief to not be scared to put it to sleep during meeting breaks to save battery when working with my Pen and OneNote. For the past 7 months I've had to have it on power when in meetings so that it wouldn't go into a coma. That was always so embarrassing.

You can update to the latest version of Windows 10 by opening Settings > Update & security > Windows Update, and selecting Check for updates.

Was this answer helpful?

10 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2,411 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-03-22T19:16:16+00:00

    Without keyboard?

    Found it...Start, tap user profile, and select lock.

    I should have googled first.

    T.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-03-22T19:21:33+00:00

    I seriously doubt that any SP4s work "right ". Mine certainly  does not, and I have yet to meet anybody who has one that does. My guess is that when Microsoft says that "some users" are experiencing issues they really mean "everyone unfortunate enough to have purchased one of these lemons".

    I cant imagine this to be the case. If EVERYONE who bought these were experiencing this issue, itd be disastrous for Microsoft. I'm going to the MS store tonight to replace mine after a long (and useless) call to the MS Answer Desk. The "tech" who helped over the phone did an "extensive" test which consisted of having me hold the power button and volume up, and restarting the device. He told me he was POSITIVE this would fix my problem and I should trust his expertise. When it didn't fix the issue(obviously) he asked to remote into my computer to finish his exhausting evaluation, which consisted of him going to settings to make sure my computer was up to date, and running 2 troubleshooters. He was amazed he didn't find anything. After going through his notes he said a replacement was justified. He said he hasn't heard of this problem before, (not sure I believe him) but he did seem baffled as to what I was going through. Like he REALLY hadn't heard of this before. If EVERY Surface pro 4 was having this problem, I'm sure he would've been a little less willing to stay on the phone with me for 2 hours of troubleshooting. I may be wrong, but we'll see. I can tell you one thing, I don't think a replacement will fix the issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-03-22T19:45:18+00:00

    Well, after a long call to the Microsoft Support Chat line, the tech concluded that I too should go into the Microsoft Store and have my SP4 swapped - and she had made sure they had a 'better device' for me. 

    I went in today with no great confidence.  The tech in the store was helpful, and went through the checks - firmware installed completely, up-to-date Windows Updates etc ...  Having found nothing, spoke about the situation.  The tech clearly wasn't surprised, and I think had seen it before.  They were very cautious in the use of words about it, but did admit that there was a known problem in this area, and that I should expect a big update - maybe at the end of March / April.

    It felt as though the tech knew exactly that there is a known issue here, but was not at liberty to say anything specific.  They don't want to admit it publicly due to the impact in the press. 

    I can understand the position, but it seems short-sighted and destined to undermine customer faith and loyalty.

    This must be a tricky problem, otherwise I would have expected a fix, they do have some smart people working for them after all.

    What I would really like is an interim measure, which implements a simple sleep mode, and leaving all this connected standby stuff to be fixed when it can be.  Other suppliers have gone for the simple sleep mode on Skylake - and they work fine.

    I will stick to hibernate rather than sleep, and now will turn off the Surface Pro 4 when I travel.  I flew yesterday with the Surface apparently hibernating, but it turned itself back on after a couple of hours of travel, and it was noticeably warm in my bag - and with a much depleted battery.  I don't think the power button was knocked, but maybe it was that.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-03-22T21:05:47+00:00

    I would like to try your workaround. What do you mean by "lock" the surface?

    Thanks.

    Using Win-L or just letting it go to sleep seems to be the way for mine to get warm.  If I touch the back, it is warm telling me I don't think it is sleeping. It wakes, but not sure from sleep!  If I press power button to put it to sleep, that seems to work and it has woken for me.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments