Surface Pro 4 - Screen won't wake from sleep

Anonymous
2015-10-27T05:32:42+00:00

I received my Surface Pro 4 today and it worked fine. I put it on "sleep" for awhile, came back and turned it on. Once again it worked fine. I made an error and instead of putting it on "sleep" I  hit the power button to turn it off when I finished. Now it won't come on at all. The screen stays dark. If I push the power button I can see lights under the keyboard keys, then if I hit the power switch again they go off. But nothing happens to the screen no matter what I do. Has anyone else suffered from this?

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-08-19T19:27:34+00:00

It works fine for me after the Anniversary Update to Windows 10 Pro (Version 1607). It no longer goes into a coma.

I just traveled all week. Put my Surface Pro 4 (SP4) to sleep 10 to 20 times each day, and currently my task manager shows the up time to be 7:21:35:21 - 7 days! It is actually working the way I expected it to when I bought it!

It was such a relief to not be scared to put it to sleep during meeting breaks to save battery when working with my Pen and OneNote. For the past 7 months I've had to have it on power when in meetings so that it wouldn't go into a coma. That was always so embarrassing.

You can update to the latest version of Windows 10 by opening Settings > Update & security > Windows Update, and selecting Check for updates.

Was this answer helpful?

10 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2,411 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-03-22T15:04:27+00:00

    This is ridiculous that we have to go through this!!! Microsoft get your act together!!!! I bought my SP4 on March 8 and have done all updates (although it only displays in history updates since I bought it). Still have the sleep issue. Only way to get around it seems to manually put it to sleep.

    MS better fix this soon or I will never buy another again!!!.

    Mike.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-03-22T15:08:03+00:00

    I am having the same issue with failure to wake from sleep and I have the February updates applied. This is extremely frustrating and I may return this to the Microsoft store if the issue is not resolved.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-03-22T15:23:51+00:00

    Despite the February 17 update, I still have terrible issues with waking up my i7 spec device from sleep. A hard reset did not help, so do not bother performing one. The only solution is to switch off sleep and resort to hibernation instead.

    After the hard reset things turned even worse because my Windows Search wasn't working, I had to go the extra mile and rebuild the search index.

    What a joke the Surface Pro 4 is. A 2000 dollar cutting-edge device presumably designed to work flawlessly with Windows 10 and it's giving me more headache than a 500 dollar Asus from 2012. Cannot trust this thing to do any serious work, it'll either freeze in sleep or run out of battery before the day is done.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-03-22T15:44:21+00:00

    It's almost half a year that the Surface Pro 4s have been out there, I cannot believe the inactivity Microsoft is demonstrating with all these issues. Sure, the waking up from sleep difficulties might be a problem with Intel Skylakes, but objectively speaking, they should have found out about that BEFORE they released the devices in the first place. You gotta admire how they went and sold a barely glued together piece of tech with a work-in-progress OS. From one disaster to another, well done, Microsoft, you sure fooled me this time. *slow clap

    All that and I still have more bugs on my SP4 than on any other device running Windows 10. Even the cheapo Intel Atom Asus Transformer TA-100 is more stable.

    The first and the last Surface device I ever buy.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments