Surface Pro 4 - Screen won't wake from sleep

Anonymous
2015-10-27T05:32:42+00:00

I received my Surface Pro 4 today and it worked fine. I put it on "sleep" for awhile, came back and turned it on. Once again it worked fine. I made an error and instead of putting it on "sleep" I  hit the power button to turn it off when I finished. Now it won't come on at all. The screen stays dark. If I push the power button I can see lights under the keyboard keys, then if I hit the power switch again they go off. But nothing happens to the screen no matter what I do. Has anyone else suffered from this?

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-08-19T19:27:34+00:00

It works fine for me after the Anniversary Update to Windows 10 Pro (Version 1607). It no longer goes into a coma.

I just traveled all week. Put my Surface Pro 4 (SP4) to sleep 10 to 20 times each day, and currently my task manager shows the up time to be 7:21:35:21 - 7 days! It is actually working the way I expected it to when I bought it!

It was such a relief to not be scared to put it to sleep during meeting breaks to save battery when working with my Pen and OneNote. For the past 7 months I've had to have it on power when in meetings so that it wouldn't go into a coma. That was always so embarrassing.

You can update to the latest version of Windows 10 by opening Settings > Update & security > Windows Update, and selecting Check for updates.

Was this answer helpful?

10 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2,411 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-03-22T01:09:30+00:00

    Hmm, locking the Surface first seems to be a slight work around. I am assuming its the way Windows is being put into sleep is the issue. I am also assuming the keyboard closing is causing it to bug. Locking it first will solve issue for short term sleep. I will test long term tonight.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-03-22T10:56:06+00:00

    So, I have received my surface about a few weeks ago, & I started to have this problem.

    Every time I press the power button to turn off the screen, the screen doesn't turn back on when pressing it again, although I can realize that the device is flashing by the lights at the periphery, but the screen remain blank.

    This problem doesn't show up all the time, but when it does I have to force shutdown the tablet and turn it on again losing all my work.

    This thing is really starting to be annoying..

    Does anyone else here with the same issue? I really need a solution to this..

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-03-22T11:29:01+00:00

    I'm currently suffering from this issue. My surface is just 3 weeks old.

    I tried most of the solutions, none of them worked fine.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-03-22T14:55:16+00:00

    Yes. I get this too - in fact the symptoms you're describing started happening to me after the last firmware update that was supposed to sort out the power management issues.

    It's very frustrating and I'd really like a solution as well.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments