Surface Pro 4 - Screen won't wake from sleep

Anonymous
2015-10-27T05:32:42+00:00

I received my Surface Pro 4 today and it worked fine. I put it on "sleep" for awhile, came back and turned it on. Once again it worked fine. I made an error and instead of putting it on "sleep" I  hit the power button to turn it off when I finished. Now it won't come on at all. The screen stays dark. If I push the power button I can see lights under the keyboard keys, then if I hit the power switch again they go off. But nothing happens to the screen no matter what I do. Has anyone else suffered from this?

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-08-19T19:27:34+00:00

It works fine for me after the Anniversary Update to Windows 10 Pro (Version 1607). It no longer goes into a coma.

I just traveled all week. Put my Surface Pro 4 (SP4) to sleep 10 to 20 times each day, and currently my task manager shows the up time to be 7:21:35:21 - 7 days! It is actually working the way I expected it to when I bought it!

It was such a relief to not be scared to put it to sleep during meeting breaks to save battery when working with my Pen and OneNote. For the past 7 months I've had to have it on power when in meetings so that it wouldn't go into a coma. That was always so embarrassing.

You can update to the latest version of Windows 10 by opening Settings > Update & security > Windows Update, and selecting Check for updates.

Was this answer helpful?

10 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2,411 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-03-20T22:20:23+00:00

    The latest beta drivers didn't help my sleep issue.

    Here's a chronology of my sleep issue.

    1. Before the Feb update:  No sleep problems
    2. After the Feb update:  Sleep problems started
    3. About 2 weeks ago:  Sleep problems mysteriously stopped.  I hadn't changed anything.
    4. About 1 week ago:  Sleep problem came back, just as mysteriously
    5. Yesterday I installed the latest beta driver from Intel.  No difference - still have sleep problem

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-03-21T00:23:21+00:00

    I purchased my Surface Pro 4 about 2 months ago. It has all of the updates you suggested successfully installed, including the one from mid-February. I just double-checked it a few minutes ago. Nonetheless, EVERY time I leave the Surface for any period of time, on battery or plugged in, and whether I manually tell it to hibernate or whether it does so on its own, it will not wake up. I switched to hibernate after having the problem when it would go into sleep mode, hoping that might solve it, but nope. I have to do an ugly reboot every single time, and it's getting extremely old. I have been in the Mac camp for a decade, and this is my first venture back to the PC side; so far I'm not impressed. Any other suggestions for me?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-03-21T00:36:13+00:00

    I've been on the Intel 4404 driver beta for the majority of the day and have not had the black screen since I installed it. I know better than to call victory yet, but I do agree this is very promising. No heat, and it's woken up every time with reasonable battery drain. I need to give it at least 36 hours to fell really good though.

    Join: #SurfacePro4 #nowake

    And....BSoD just now. This is just awful.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-03-21T00:40:16+00:00

    Go back to the Mac camp?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments