Surface Pro 4 - Screen won't wake from sleep

Anonymous
2015-10-27T05:32:42+00:00

I received my Surface Pro 4 today and it worked fine. I put it on "sleep" for awhile, came back and turned it on. Once again it worked fine. I made an error and instead of putting it on "sleep" I  hit the power button to turn it off when I finished. Now it won't come on at all. The screen stays dark. If I push the power button I can see lights under the keyboard keys, then if I hit the power switch again they go off. But nothing happens to the screen no matter what I do. Has anyone else suffered from this?

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-08-19T19:27:34+00:00

It works fine for me after the Anniversary Update to Windows 10 Pro (Version 1607). It no longer goes into a coma.

I just traveled all week. Put my Surface Pro 4 (SP4) to sleep 10 to 20 times each day, and currently my task manager shows the up time to be 7:21:35:21 - 7 days! It is actually working the way I expected it to when I bought it!

It was such a relief to not be scared to put it to sleep during meeting breaks to save battery when working with my Pen and OneNote. For the past 7 months I've had to have it on power when in meetings so that it wouldn't go into a coma. That was always so embarrassing.

You can update to the latest version of Windows 10 by opening Settings > Update & security > Windows Update, and selecting Check for updates.

Was this answer helpful?

10 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2,411 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-03-20T14:33:49+00:00

    Well my unit lists the driver as 20.19.15.4364, so I will try the 4404 driver and see what happens :) thanks!

    Well scratch that it would not take the update. looking at the Intel site, it appears that the driver is not validated for my processor. I have the I5 6300 2.4 Ghz processor and it is not listed as validated, which might explain why the system will not accept the driver.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-03-20T15:04:24+00:00

    Well scratch that it would not take the update. looking at the Intel site, it appears that the driver is not validated for my processor. I have the I5 6300 2.4 Ghz processor and it is not listed as validated, which might explain why the system will not accept the driver.

    Your processor is the i5 6300U!

    Take the driver from this link: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25848/Intel-Beta-Grafik-Treiber-f-r-Windows-7-8-1-10-15-40- 

    It definitely works with the i5 SP4 (the processor is listed as validated), but you still have to do a force-install as the driver is not directly from the OEM/Microsoft...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-03-20T15:09:07+00:00

    Well my unit lists the driver as 20.19.15.4364, so I will try the 4404 driver and see what happens :) thanks!

    Well scratch that it would not take the update. looking at the Intel site, it appears that the driver is not validated for my processor. I have the I5 6300 2.4 Ghz processor and it is not listed as validated, which might explain why the system will not accept the driver.

    Scroll through the list. The Surface Pro 4 i5 is on there:

    This driver has continued to work for me, zero BSoD so far. Only problem so far, which I think has always been the case, is when I plugged the power in while it was in sleep. First thing, it turned on immediately. I put it back to sleep and after a few minutes the fan went on full blast as the device got hot. I put it into hibernate for the charge and that fixed that. This is a much better scenario to deal with, just have to put it in hibernate or shutdown before I charge.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-03-20T16:08:01+00:00

    I am glad at least for some people the Intel Beta Graphics driver 4404 has continued to work. Over the last 4 days I have also noticed the black screen only once during changing the power connection while the SP4 was sleeping.

    For those the Intel driver 4404 is still not working there could be other issues but if you wish you can try a few more things:

    1. Make sure the February 2016 firmware update is applied properly: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3145770 
    2. You have all the windows updates installed
    3. (I think this is optional) Remove the latest graphics driver installed by February 2016 update.
    4. Install the Intel Beta Graphics Driver 4404 (Please see my post in Page 126).
    5. (I think this is optional) Reinstall the Intel Beta Graphics Driver 4404 using the Setup.exe from the downloaded Beta Driver (Win64.zip). This time you should be allowed to install the driver in the normal way.
    6. Restart
    7. (I think this is optional) Reset the Power Plan to its default values (search "Power Options" in your computer).
    8. May be Restart again - at least that is what I did.

    I hope this will help someone.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments