Surface Pro 4 - Screen won't wake from sleep

Anonymous
2015-10-27T05:32:42+00:00

I received my Surface Pro 4 today and it worked fine. I put it on "sleep" for awhile, came back and turned it on. Once again it worked fine. I made an error and instead of putting it on "sleep" I  hit the power button to turn it off when I finished. Now it won't come on at all. The screen stays dark. If I push the power button I can see lights under the keyboard keys, then if I hit the power switch again they go off. But nothing happens to the screen no matter what I do. Has anyone else suffered from this?

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-08-19T19:27:34+00:00

It works fine for me after the Anniversary Update to Windows 10 Pro (Version 1607). It no longer goes into a coma.

I just traveled all week. Put my Surface Pro 4 (SP4) to sleep 10 to 20 times each day, and currently my task manager shows the up time to be 7:21:35:21 - 7 days! It is actually working the way I expected it to when I bought it!

It was such a relief to not be scared to put it to sleep during meeting breaks to save battery when working with my Pen and OneNote. For the past 7 months I've had to have it on power when in meetings so that it wouldn't go into a coma. That was always so embarrassing.

You can update to the latest version of Windows 10 by opening Settings > Update & security > Windows Update, and selecting Check for updates.

Was this answer helpful?

10 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2,411 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-03-19T18:28:07+00:00

    I had this problem since ~february, so I guess an update broke it for me, as it worked fine before (also had the Intel Graphics driver force-installed).

    But today I experienced the EXACT SAME issue with my desktop PC! Just installed (clean) Windows 10 last week with all newest updates/drivers/bios. No problem waking up from hibernation, but when waking up from sleep I get no video signal and most peripherals don't activate (except 1 mouse and a DAC). 

    The interesting part: I have a Xeon E3 1230v3, so no iGPU and no Intel Graphics Driver!! (discrete gpu is a gtx660)

    Maybe the graphics driver isn't even the problem :/

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-03-19T18:53:40+00:00

    So with my last go-around - trying to see if I can use the pen click, it does feel like the computer crashed long before I tried to wake it up. Which indicates to me that the display had nothing to do with it, at least the last couple of black screen of death - in that state since I can't plug anything into the USB port and get the computer to recognize it and no response to pen click - it's looking more and more like some sort of a skylake powersave mode crash. I do remember reading that other customers of skylake (HP, Dell, Lenovo, etc) are not using the advanced sleep modes of the new processor. So for me, there is evidence that the sleep mode is at fault - so if there is no CPU, then no one can reset the display, etc. It all goes back to Intel (and Microsoft) whether it's the display or the CPU (I guess the same IC) - it certainly looks like the CPU is brain dead, not catatonic - lights are not on AND nobody is at home to turn it back on. So that explains why for me display driver changes didn't do anything.

    Another thing I did is to plug in an external monitor to the displayport while the computer has the black screen of death - it was not recognized and the both the SP4 screen and the external screen was off. So this tells me that the CPU/OS has bit the dust.

    • Peter

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-03-20T03:20:57+00:00

    I've been on the Intel 4404 driver beta for the majority of the day and have not had the black screen since I installed it. I know better than to call victory yet, but I do agree this is very promising. No heat, and it's woken up every time with reasonable battery drain. I need to give it at least 36 hours to fell really good though.

    Join: #SurfacePro4 #nowake

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-03-20T14:21:03+00:00

    Well my unit lists the driver as 20.19.15.4364, so I will try the 4404 driver and see what happens :) thanks!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments