Surface Pro 4 - Screen won't wake from sleep

Anonymous
2015-10-27T05:32:42+00:00

I received my Surface Pro 4 today and it worked fine. I put it on "sleep" for awhile, came back and turned it on. Once again it worked fine. I made an error and instead of putting it on "sleep" I  hit the power button to turn it off when I finished. Now it won't come on at all. The screen stays dark. If I push the power button I can see lights under the keyboard keys, then if I hit the power switch again they go off. But nothing happens to the screen no matter what I do. Has anyone else suffered from this?

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-08-19T19:27:34+00:00

It works fine for me after the Anniversary Update to Windows 10 Pro (Version 1607). It no longer goes into a coma.

I just traveled all week. Put my Surface Pro 4 (SP4) to sleep 10 to 20 times each day, and currently my task manager shows the up time to be 7:21:35:21 - 7 days! It is actually working the way I expected it to when I bought it!

It was such a relief to not be scared to put it to sleep during meeting breaks to save battery when working with my Pen and OneNote. For the past 7 months I've had to have it on power when in meetings so that it wouldn't go into a coma. That was always so embarrassing.

You can update to the latest version of Windows 10 by opening Settings > Update & security > Windows Update, and selecting Check for updates.

Was this answer helpful?

10 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2,411 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-03-19T15:48:29+00:00

    This looks promising - perhaps the end is in sight...

    My fingers are crossed!

    J

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-03-19T16:20:52+00:00

    Hello,

    Thank you very much for the link.

    I downloaded, unzipped as instructed, but It just stopped short of installing by indicating that I have the best driver installed.

    Would not allow me update.

    It almost seem as if the driver is on my computer. ???

    Kind Regards

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-03-19T16:38:36+00:00

    I have been using the latest Intel beta (4404) for the last few days.

    It did NOT fix anything for me. 

    I still had the sleep of death.

    I went back to the official drivers, since the beta introduced bugs using an external display 4K on the Dock.

    Another interesting try was that opencl.dll corruption thing, I went through the process of sfc, disasm and repairing. Now sfc says the system is clean, but I still have the black screen on wakeup (and none of the keyboard combination works).

    So disappointed...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-03-19T17:16:17+00:00

    If you have 20.19.15.4404 driver version (Intel HD Grpahics 520 > right click > properties > Driver) then you already have the latest driver. I could update mine! It looks like the problem does not have one simple solution!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments