Surface Pro 4 - Screen won't wake from sleep

Anonymous
2015-10-27T05:32:42+00:00

I received my Surface Pro 4 today and it worked fine. I put it on "sleep" for awhile, came back and turned it on. Once again it worked fine. I made an error and instead of putting it on "sleep" I  hit the power button to turn it off when I finished. Now it won't come on at all. The screen stays dark. If I push the power button I can see lights under the keyboard keys, then if I hit the power switch again they go off. But nothing happens to the screen no matter what I do. Has anyone else suffered from this?

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-08-19T19:27:34+00:00

It works fine for me after the Anniversary Update to Windows 10 Pro (Version 1607). It no longer goes into a coma.

I just traveled all week. Put my Surface Pro 4 (SP4) to sleep 10 to 20 times each day, and currently my task manager shows the up time to be 7:21:35:21 - 7 days! It is actually working the way I expected it to when I bought it!

It was such a relief to not be scared to put it to sleep during meeting breaks to save battery when working with my Pen and OneNote. For the past 7 months I've had to have it on power when in meetings so that it wouldn't go into a coma. That was always so embarrassing.

You can update to the latest version of Windows 10 by opening Settings > Update & security > Windows Update, and selecting Check for updates.

Was this answer helpful?

10 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2,411 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-03-17T20:46:09+00:00

    SP4 i7 16 GB 256SDD - Installed the newest beta driver yesterday and it hasn't fixed the issue, just had to do a reboot to get the screen back.  Same issue as before, keyboard on etc.. nothing on the screen.  I was hoping the new driver would have fixed it but it hasn't.  I'm sure you will find the same after a day.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-03-18T01:40:45+00:00

    So needless to say this is frustrating so I will try to brief.  It is obviously clear that there is a large systemic problem that Microsoft has let go for a long time.

    At over 120 pages this thread is losing its utility quickly.  I think there is clearly no solution and I would prefer to read about updates, clean installs, or returns anymore.  A more practical and in my opinion more helpful post would be a summary of any "best practices" to deal with the problem.  Is there a way we can deal with the problem or prevent it - even if that practice is inconvenient.

    I am in no way trying to let Microsoft off the hook on this.  This in an atrocious problem and maybe someday there will be a remedy, but until then, we all have to work with what we got.

    Any helpful tips much appreciated.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-03-18T02:11:25+00:00

    Thanks for the info.. let me know how it goes!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-03-18T22:08:36+00:00

    So needless to say this is frustrating so I will try to brief.  It is obviously clear that there is a large systemic problem that Microsoft has let go for a long time.

    At over 120 pages this thread is losing its utility quickly.  I think there is clearly no solution and I would prefer to read about updates, clean installs, or returns anymore.  A more practical and in my opinion more helpful post would be a summary of any "best practices" to deal with the problem.  Is there a way we can deal with the problem or prevent it - even if that practice is inconvenient.

    I am in no way trying to let Microsoft off the hook on this.  This in an atrocious problem and maybe someday there will be a remedy, but until then, we all have to work with what we got.

    Any helpful tips much appreciated.

    Yeah, I agree.

    I do have to say that following the Reddit thread about fixing issues from "sfc /scannow" with opencl.dll corruption," I had the most interesting result. Using the beta drivers from Intel did nothing, but the cleaning up the "sfc /scannow" corruption issues did produce some change in behavior. (I think most of the people have given up on the ctl-shift-win-B, win-P, ctl-alt-del, etc. - none of those worked for me)

    https://www.reddit.com/r/Surface/comments/49g46p/i\_am\_going\_to\_make\_one\_post\_to\_convey\_a\_fix\_for/

    Prior to fixing the opencl.dll problem, I had my computer set up to reproduce the computer freeze after sleeping problem very reliably - my screen off and sleep timer was set to 1 minute. I set up a egg timer for 5 minutes, and every single time the computer would not come out of the black screen after sleep when the egg timer went off.

    After fixing opencl.dll, I noticed that the computer always woke up with the same identical method of getting the computer to sleep 1-minute sleep, wait 4 more minutes. That night, I was convinced that the sleep problem was fixed.

    Next day I noticed that the computer would not wake up from the black screen after an extended period of sleep. And now I realize that the freezing problem is still there, it's just been changed in that it requires more time.

    So something changed when I fixed the opencl.dll corruption, just not 100%.

    Does anyone know if there is a program that logs what happens every 20 seconds or so to see if we can catch the computer in the act of freezing? I still don't know whether the computer crashed in sleep, or it's alive but can't communicate when I see the black screen.

    • Peter

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments