Surface Pro 4 - Screen won't wake from sleep

Anonymous
2015-10-27T05:32:42+00:00

I received my Surface Pro 4 today and it worked fine. I put it on "sleep" for awhile, came back and turned it on. Once again it worked fine. I made an error and instead of putting it on "sleep" I  hit the power button to turn it off when I finished. Now it won't come on at all. The screen stays dark. If I push the power button I can see lights under the keyboard keys, then if I hit the power switch again they go off. But nothing happens to the screen no matter what I do. Has anyone else suffered from this?

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-08-19T19:27:34+00:00

It works fine for me after the Anniversary Update to Windows 10 Pro (Version 1607). It no longer goes into a coma.

I just traveled all week. Put my Surface Pro 4 (SP4) to sleep 10 to 20 times each day, and currently my task manager shows the up time to be 7:21:35:21 - 7 days! It is actually working the way I expected it to when I bought it!

It was such a relief to not be scared to put it to sleep during meeting breaks to save battery when working with my Pen and OneNote. For the past 7 months I've had to have it on power when in meetings so that it wouldn't go into a coma. That was always so embarrassing.

You can update to the latest version of Windows 10 by opening Settings > Update & security > Windows Update, and selecting Check for updates.

Was this answer helpful?

10 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2,411 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-03-15T22:25:26+00:00

    .

    BTW does anyone else have the silly problems I have with this Microsoft Community Board. If I come in from the email link to add a reply I get to the right place, but if I access it directly from the SP4 or my trusty Win7 PC I can only access posts through 124 or so going up through late last year. and cannot get to the current 1231 replies. Am I missing something obvious ? 

    I tried 3 different browsers and could not reproduce this problem as described.   Sure you're not confusing the page number with the post number?? 

    Thank you. Yes I was slightly confusing the page and reply numbers in my post. The strange thing is I checked just now and when I clicked on the current last page number (124) it did take me to the most recent replies. However previously it has always taken me back into October.  Using Edge on SP4 and IE on Win 7. I'll see if it misbehaves again for me. Maybe it is just my brain misbehaving !! Thanks again.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-03-16T09:16:23+00:00

    Hello Josh,

    I checked the updates and yep, I have the last one installed, and everything fine un Device Manager. Unfortunately I am still suffering this "wake up" problems.

    In my case, I work with the dock, and 2 monitors plugged to it. One with a Mini Display Port to HDMI connector, and another one with an active Mini Display Port to DVI connector.

    The thing is... I am not sure, at least in my case, this is a "sleep" problem.  For example, just 15 minutes ago, I was listening to music with Groove player. I went off the computer for a while (something like 30 to 40 minutes), with the music turned on. When I came back, I just moved the mouse, to "wake" the screen, and suddenly the music stopped playing, as if the Surface hanged up. The surface screen was in a "black but turned on" state. I mean, I could tell it was on, but showing a black screen (when I turned it off with the power button it came "blacker", that's how I can tell) and the other 2 monitors were totally off.

    Another thing that happens to me is that (now less often than couple of months ago, before the latest updates), suddenly the surface seems to hang up, all monitors (including Surface screen) go off, and then they go on again, while windows show an error like "Display Driver Stopped Responding and Has Recovered". Maybe those are related?

    Anyways, I hope you do your best to fixing these bugs guys! The device is absolutely awesome, and is a shame that this software flaws completely mess up the user experience.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-03-16T12:56:06+00:00

    This is getting worse. It's March 2016 now, why hasn't this been addressed in an update? I have to wait all that time to do a hard reboot, which can be awkward in a meeting when people are waiting.  I love this device but this is creating some negative vibes about system viability.  Microsoft is close on Windows 10, don't blow it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-03-17T17:08:13+00:00

    I bought my Surface Pro 4 after 2/17/2016.  Still having this issue. It has happened to me multiple times today and yesterday.  My device is up to date as of 4 minutes ago.  Any other ideas? I don't like having to force restart my computer every time it goes to sleep.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments