Surface Pro 4 - Screen won't wake from sleep

Anonymous
2015-10-27T05:32:42+00:00

I received my Surface Pro 4 today and it worked fine. I put it on "sleep" for awhile, came back and turned it on. Once again it worked fine. I made an error and instead of putting it on "sleep" I  hit the power button to turn it off when I finished. Now it won't come on at all. The screen stays dark. If I push the power button I can see lights under the keyboard keys, then if I hit the power switch again they go off. But nothing happens to the screen no matter what I do. Has anyone else suffered from this?

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-08-19T19:27:34+00:00

It works fine for me after the Anniversary Update to Windows 10 Pro (Version 1607). It no longer goes into a coma.

I just traveled all week. Put my Surface Pro 4 (SP4) to sleep 10 to 20 times each day, and currently my task manager shows the up time to be 7:21:35:21 - 7 days! It is actually working the way I expected it to when I bought it!

It was such a relief to not be scared to put it to sleep during meeting breaks to save battery when working with my Pen and OneNote. For the past 7 months I've had to have it on power when in meetings so that it wouldn't go into a coma. That was always so embarrassing.

You can update to the latest version of Windows 10 by opening Settings > Update & security > Windows Update, and selecting Check for updates.

Was this answer helpful?

10 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2,411 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-03-15T00:22:49+00:00

    If I have a 'problematic unit', I'm clearly not the only one; I've read the posts from a number of people who've replaced their device and find the replacement is no better than the original. I'm not in the mood to join them

    I think "problematic unit" is a euphemism for a Surface Pro 4 or Surface Book. If you have one of those, you're hosed.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-03-15T15:17:40+00:00

    I agree that this problem appears to affect any Surface Pro 4 or Surface Book - these machines are simply incapable of properly managing their power states, especially when used with a dock and the keyboard cover.

    My SP4 now seems to wake successfully *once* now after undocking and sleeping, but I think the next sleep cycle is  doomed to fail, regardless of whether it's triggered by pressing the power button, putting the SP4 to sleep via the Windows Menu Power controls, or simply closing the keyboard cover.

    Yesterday, as I said, it woke successfully the first time, just by opening the keyboard cover, but then I put it to sleep to go to a second meeting, and it was nearly hot enough to cook an egg on when I took it out of its sleeve a half hour later.  This is only about the third time I've encountered the "hot bag" problem, but there's no way that that amount of heat didn't take many months of life off the battery of my seventh Surface device (5 ea SP3's, including 3 obviously defective refurbs, and now 2 ea SP4s...)  All of my settings are default EXCEPT Wifi Connected standby is turned off on both battery and when plugged in, and it is set to never sleep when plugged in.  (Power, sleep buttons and lid closing are all set to "Sleep".)

    Sooner or later, Microsoft is going to start a fire with one of these things, which may explain their total and complete silence on these issues - acknowledging the existence of the problem in any way could really blow back on them in any legal proceedings (which at this point seem to be a matter of if, not when...) 

    I will say that the discovery for whatever lawsuits that come will be extremely revealing, as it appears that Intel and Microsoft (and perhaps Pegatron) are colluding to cover up what must by now be a pretty well-known (and understood) problem with the Skylake-based SP4 and SB within their respective companies.  My guess is that there's really just no way to fix this in firmware and/or software (requiring total hardware replacement, which is obviously quite expensive!), and they're arguing between themselves about who's going to pay for replacing every single SP4 and SB out in the wild, since they're all clearly faulty and potentially dangerous...

    That said, it seems possible that there may still be some way to sort out the race conditions and state machine blocks and collisions (dock/undock, different ways of putting to sleep, keyboard cover click-on/off, keyboard cover opening/closing, power state transitions, bluetooth/wifi events, etc....) that seem to be at the root of the problems by putting all power management control in *one* place.  I presume that place is the firmware, and that this will require that these machines (all Skylake machines? Just the SP4/SB? Who knows?...) to interface differently with Win10 power management APIs than all other PCs.  If this is not possible, then we, as the owners that got suckered into buying these turkeys, seem to be stuck with machines that can never be made to work reliably and safely as designed.

    It would be really nice if Microsoft would step up and tell its customers the truth about what is going on (the "really hard computer science problem involving new hardware"), but it's pretty clear the lawyers won't let them do that, so we continue to suffer and not get what we paid for while they *may* continue to work on a fix, if one is even possible...

    I love my SP4 and want it to work, but I've lost all faith in Microsoft to deliver a reliable product.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-03-15T15:45:07+00:00

    That is a well thought through reply.

    I would be happy if Microsoft just implemented a normal non-clever sleep.  We bought Skylake-based Acer laptop for our grandson, and it sleeps and wakes perfectly, but doesn't have any of this connected-standby stuff. 

    So sleep can be done with Skylake without a doubt, and I for one would prefer that to all this annoyance and potential damage.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-03-15T16:09:10+00:00

    That is a well thought through reply.

    I would be happy if Microsoft just implemented a normal non-clever sleep.  We bought Skylake-based Acer laptop for our grandson, and it sleeps and wakes perfectly, but doesn't have any of this connected-standby stuff. 

    So sleep can be done with Skylake without a doubt, and I for one would prefer that to all this annoyance and potential damage.

    Yes, a very good summary of the problem. Thank you Dub. Also thanks for pointing out that this problem potentially involves the Intel chips since maintaining the memory in a low power state without loosing data is handled directly out of the Intel hardware in the CPU or support chips. I am not sure how much control the BIOS firmware has of this in detail.

    BTW does anyone else have the silly problems I have with this Microsoft Community Board. If I come in from the email link to add a reply I get to the right place, but if I access it directly from the SP4 or my trusty Win7 PC I can only access posts through 124 or so going up through late last year. and cannot get to the current 1231 replies. Am I missing something obvious ?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments