Surface Pro 4 - Screen won't wake from sleep

Anonymous
2015-10-27T05:32:42+00:00

I received my Surface Pro 4 today and it worked fine. I put it on "sleep" for awhile, came back and turned it on. Once again it worked fine. I made an error and instead of putting it on "sleep" I  hit the power button to turn it off when I finished. Now it won't come on at all. The screen stays dark. If I push the power button I can see lights under the keyboard keys, then if I hit the power switch again they go off. But nothing happens to the screen no matter what I do. Has anyone else suffered from this?

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-08-19T19:27:34+00:00

It works fine for me after the Anniversary Update to Windows 10 Pro (Version 1607). It no longer goes into a coma.

I just traveled all week. Put my Surface Pro 4 (SP4) to sleep 10 to 20 times each day, and currently my task manager shows the up time to be 7:21:35:21 - 7 days! It is actually working the way I expected it to when I bought it!

It was such a relief to not be scared to put it to sleep during meeting breaks to save battery when working with my Pen and OneNote. For the past 7 months I've had to have it on power when in meetings so that it wouldn't go into a coma. That was always so embarrassing.

You can update to the latest version of Windows 10 by opening Settings > Update & security > Windows Update, and selecting Check for updates.

Was this answer helpful?

10 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2,411 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-03-13T08:57:42+00:00

    I have checked the above and both seem to be fine

    However I still have the issue.

    This is my second SP4 and I have returned the first one as it has a phantom activation on its screen

    And Its ridiculous for me to repeat again and again -exchange and getting a newer one

    Why cant it just work?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-03-13T14:29:57+00:00

    My first post on this topic even though I've had this problem since I bought my Surface Pro 4 when they first came out.  I think now the best approach for us users to take is to make as much noise about this as possible, get the word out to the buying public about how common this problem is.  

    This problem seems to happen just as frequently now as it did before the February updates.  I don't think the updates affected it at all.

    I have been advised by a Microsoft tech to do a Windows refresh, but I see that although it keeps my data intact it wipes all my user-installed programs.  That's too much of a PITA to attempt it, especially when it seems unlikely to help.

    I was going to try exchanging my Surface Pro 4 for a new unit, but from the comments above it looks like "they all do it" and a new unit won't help either.

    It's a great machine when it's working, but ... I wish I had bought something else.  Having to do a hard reboot once or twice a day is just not acceptable.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-03-13T15:59:18+00:00

    I have mine set to sleep never.  Now I am getting the Hello red light on after I leave the SP4 sitting past the screen blank time.  Very strange and I have to shutdown to get it off.

    What a strange bunch of problems. 

    And what is with Microsoft being so silent on it.  I did see one note after the last update saying they were working on a problem that "some" users were having with waking.  or some thing that led me to believe they are working on it. 

    Is there some kind of financial liability with just getting on this blog and saying they are working on it?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more