Surface Pro 4 - Screen won't wake from sleep

Anonymous
2015-10-27T05:32:42+00:00

I received my Surface Pro 4 today and it worked fine. I put it on "sleep" for awhile, came back and turned it on. Once again it worked fine. I made an error and instead of putting it on "sleep" I  hit the power button to turn it off when I finished. Now it won't come on at all. The screen stays dark. If I push the power button I can see lights under the keyboard keys, then if I hit the power switch again they go off. But nothing happens to the screen no matter what I do. Has anyone else suffered from this?

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-08-19T19:27:34+00:00

It works fine for me after the Anniversary Update to Windows 10 Pro (Version 1607). It no longer goes into a coma.

I just traveled all week. Put my Surface Pro 4 (SP4) to sleep 10 to 20 times each day, and currently my task manager shows the up time to be 7:21:35:21 - 7 days! It is actually working the way I expected it to when I bought it!

It was such a relief to not be scared to put it to sleep during meeting breaks to save battery when working with my Pen and OneNote. For the past 7 months I've had to have it on power when in meetings so that it wouldn't go into a coma. That was always so embarrassing.

You can update to the latest version of Windows 10 by opening Settings > Update & security > Windows Update, and selecting Check for updates.

Was this answer helpful?

10 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2,411 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-03-12T21:16:45+00:00

    When I was shopping for something to replace my original Surface Pro, I narrowed it down to two likely replacements: Surface Pro 4 or iPad Pro. I chose the SP4, but with all the problems it's been having, maybe I should have bought the iPad Pro instead! I'm really frustrated at Microsoft right now...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-03-12T23:05:44+00:00

    I am still having the issue after the update from 2/17/16 was applied.  I checked the device manager and there does not seem to be a problem with the installation.  Have any other ideas as to why this keeps happening.  I can revive the machine after holding the power button for 30 seconds but that is very annoying.

    Thank you,

    Sheila Jefferson-Ross

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-03-13T07:54:06+00:00

    Hi Josh,

    Thanks for response, however I am reading this because my Surface Pro 4 (i7) is still failing to wake up - I have ensured that the update is fulling installed and there are not issues (fail to load notice in the device manager). 

    Can you confirm if this update actually addressed the issue?  or are their multiple issues that you are discovering as you go?  If so, when is the next update that will fix the issue.  I use the Surface for work and holding down the power button for 30sec in front of customers is embracing for both of us.   

    As per below comments.  This Surface pro is a laptop and tablet.... doing a 30sec reboot every time (30-40% of time that it goes to sleep) is just not acceptable.  

    Please..!  I am a supporter of Microsoft..... Please fix the problem and stop guessing.

    Cheers

    Gareth

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-03-13T08:17:07+00:00

    Thank you..

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments