Surface Pro 4 - Screen won't wake from sleep

Anonymous
2015-10-27T05:32:42+00:00

I received my Surface Pro 4 today and it worked fine. I put it on "sleep" for awhile, came back and turned it on. Once again it worked fine. I made an error and instead of putting it on "sleep" I  hit the power button to turn it off when I finished. Now it won't come on at all. The screen stays dark. If I push the power button I can see lights under the keyboard keys, then if I hit the power switch again they go off. But nothing happens to the screen no matter what I do. Has anyone else suffered from this?

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-08-19T19:27:34+00:00

It works fine for me after the Anniversary Update to Windows 10 Pro (Version 1607). It no longer goes into a coma.

I just traveled all week. Put my Surface Pro 4 (SP4) to sleep 10 to 20 times each day, and currently my task manager shows the up time to be 7:21:35:21 - 7 days! It is actually working the way I expected it to when I bought it!

It was such a relief to not be scared to put it to sleep during meeting breaks to save battery when working with my Pen and OneNote. For the past 7 months I've had to have it on power when in meetings so that it wouldn't go into a coma. That was always so embarrassing.

You can update to the latest version of Windows 10 by opening Settings > Update & security > Windows Update, and selecting Check for updates.

Was this answer helpful?

10 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2,411 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-03-12T00:43:17+00:00

    Hi Fahim,

    The easiest way to access it is to right-click on the start button. It should be the 4th item in the list. Once the Event Viewer appears, there are a series of folders on the left-hand side. Expand the one that is named "Windows Logs". In that expanded list, the MTConfig errors should be in the item that says "System". I have a bunch of them myself because I have the same issue. Here are my 2 most common errors:

    1.)

    Event 1, MTConfig

    An attempt to configure the input mode of a multitouch device failed.

    2.)

    Event 10016, DistributedCOM

    The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID

    {D63B10C5-BB46-4990-A94F-E40B9D520160}

     and APPID

    {9CA88EE3-ACB7-47C8-AFC4-AB702511C276}

     to the user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM SID (S-1-5-18) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-03-12T01:11:13+00:00

    I guess I have a defective unit also, funny though how it was fine in February and then mysteriously would not wake from sleep all of a sudden later in February

    Yes, may experience is that it seemed to change with time. Right now, for the better.  It wakes when docked, and fan problem and heat problem are mostly gone. Oddly, if I leave it alone to go to sleep naturally, sometimes I find it hot, other times not. But if I put it to sleep with the power button, it does not get hot.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-03-12T02:09:09+00:00

    After a call with a helpful technical person on the Microsoft Support web chat, I tried a few checks and found a corrupt file, which sfc couldn't fix.  So, I bit the bullet and did a reset on the PC - not happy that I had to re-install all those apps.

    After the reset, and subsequent updates including the infamous 17/2 firmware update, my Surface Pro 4 was back.  It awoke from sleep the first time, but couldn't manage a second time.  So, all that effort has resulted in no improvement, just a waste of an hour or so, plus all those apps to put back.

    Back to hibernation ... and the daily tweet to Microsoft.  I doesn't seem to have any effect on them, but it makes me feel less alone in my plight.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-03-12T03:47:00+00:00

    My device manager does not have the exclamation points. I just got the surface pro 4 a few days ago and all updates are current. Problem persists.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments