Surface Pro 4 - Screen won't wake from sleep

Anonymous
2015-10-27T05:32:42+00:00

I received my Surface Pro 4 today and it worked fine. I put it on "sleep" for awhile, came back and turned it on. Once again it worked fine. I made an error and instead of putting it on "sleep" I  hit the power button to turn it off when I finished. Now it won't come on at all. The screen stays dark. If I push the power button I can see lights under the keyboard keys, then if I hit the power switch again they go off. But nothing happens to the screen no matter what I do. Has anyone else suffered from this?

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-08-19T19:27:34+00:00

It works fine for me after the Anniversary Update to Windows 10 Pro (Version 1607). It no longer goes into a coma.

I just traveled all week. Put my Surface Pro 4 (SP4) to sleep 10 to 20 times each day, and currently my task manager shows the up time to be 7:21:35:21 - 7 days! It is actually working the way I expected it to when I bought it!

It was such a relief to not be scared to put it to sleep during meeting breaks to save battery when working with my Pen and OneNote. For the past 7 months I've had to have it on power when in meetings so that it wouldn't go into a coma. That was always so embarrassing.

You can update to the latest version of Windows 10 by opening Settings > Update & security > Windows Update, and selecting Check for updates.

Was this answer helpful?

10 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2,411 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-03-11T20:37:31+00:00

    The firmware update of 2/17 didn't fix the problem.  Have confirmed that it installed successfully, but computer still won't wake up from sleep mode.

    I suspect it may be time to return my Surface Pro 4 and ask for a refund. 

    What I find incredible is that I spent a lot of money on a new PC for Christmas, that is defective, and Microsoft seem to be doing little or nothing about it.

    Perhaps the best description for this device is "junkware". 

    If enough Surface Pro owners go back to their Microsoft stores and ask for a refund, perhaps Microsoft may actually devote some resources into fixing the problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-03-11T21:26:31+00:00

    Unfortunately the closest thing I can offer to constructive feedback is to try to restore the device to factory defaults, perhaps using the recovery image from here.

    Otherwise it looks like you may have a problematic unit.

    I can confirm that the February update does not fix this problem. I took my first unit back to the local MS store and they confirmed that the update had been applied and they were able to witness the sleep problem. They concluded it was a problematic unit (less than 31 days after delivery)  and exchanged it for a new Pro 4 which they fully updated. That unit performed flawlessly until I installed Microsoft printer drivers for my HP and Brother printers. Then the problem reappeared. Uninstalling the Microsoft signed Brother printer made the sleep problem occur less often. I am sure there is some interaction with drivers here that MS is not testing for.

    Fortunately I can live without sleep, and, as others have reported, hibernation  works reliably.  It is a pity that such an otherwise great design is afflicted with this problem and somewhere MS heads are stuck in the sand.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-03-12T00:01:49+00:00

    Thanks for your response! I've never used Event Viewer so I'm not sure how to look up that information. However, if you have the time to tell me how to find it I'd me more than happy to look it up.

    And has Microsoft said that they're aware of this issue and working on a fix? Or is it just wishful thinking?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-03-12T00:21:43+00:00

    I guess I have a defective unit also, funny though how it was fine in February and then mysteriously would not wake from sleep all of a sudden later in February

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments