Surface Pro 4 - Screen won't wake from sleep

Anonymous
2015-10-27T05:32:42+00:00

I received my Surface Pro 4 today and it worked fine. I put it on "sleep" for awhile, came back and turned it on. Once again it worked fine. I made an error and instead of putting it on "sleep" I  hit the power button to turn it off when I finished. Now it won't come on at all. The screen stays dark. If I push the power button I can see lights under the keyboard keys, then if I hit the power switch again they go off. But nothing happens to the screen no matter what I do. Has anyone else suffered from this?

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-08-19T19:27:34+00:00

It works fine for me after the Anniversary Update to Windows 10 Pro (Version 1607). It no longer goes into a coma.

I just traveled all week. Put my Surface Pro 4 (SP4) to sleep 10 to 20 times each day, and currently my task manager shows the up time to be 7:21:35:21 - 7 days! It is actually working the way I expected it to when I bought it!

It was such a relief to not be scared to put it to sleep during meeting breaks to save battery when working with my Pen and OneNote. For the past 7 months I've had to have it on power when in meetings so that it wouldn't go into a coma. That was always so embarrassing.

You can update to the latest version of Windows 10 by opening Settings > Update & security > Windows Update, and selecting Check for updates.

Was this answer helpful?

10 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2,411 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-03-10T19:13:09+00:00

    Are you using Windows Hello to log in?

    If yes, can you see the IR emitter when waking up the Surface and facing the black screen?

    If yes to both, you're facing an issue that is plaguing several SP4 users.

    If you know how to find your way in the Event Viewer, have a look in the System section and check for several consecutives MTConfig errors matching the time you faced the issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-03-10T19:50:18+00:00

    Yes, I use windows hello.

    I can not see the IR emitter in these situation but the backlight in my keyboard turns on.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-03-11T00:08:51+00:00

    Since that last update, waking my SP4 fro a long sleep has been an adventure - I don't know what it's going to do each time.

    Sometimes I get a blank screen - just black, but with the backlight visible, and sounds of activity (notifications, etc.), but can't get the screen to display anything - power-cycle reboot usually needed.

    Sometimes the touch screen just doesn't work - restart required. 

    Sometimes Hello says it's looking for me, but doesn't turn the infrared light on - a few times I've been able to get in just by swiping up the screen from here.

    Sometimes it just doesn't do anything at all and stays comatose, needing a power-cycle reboot.

    Sometimes it works fine.

    I may have forgotten a couple of failure modes...

    When it's playing up, I can sometimes get in using the pen button to open OneNote, sometimes not.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-03-11T05:32:57+00:00

    I got a Surface Pro 4 about 2 months ago and it was working fine until recently. Since about 2 weeks ago, whenever I put my Surface to sleep for more than a couple minutes it requires me to reset it using the power button to turn it back on. I've got the latest updates installed and everything and I've checked forums where people have discussed similar problems, but nothing has worked for me.

    This has been a really frustrating issue, especially since it just came out of nowhere. I've lost some work when this issue first started as well and it's really quite annoying to have to be so careful about putting a device, that's supposed to be part tablet, to sleep.

    If anybody has any advice or a solution to this problem, I'd really appreciate it. Honestly, if this keeps up I might try to return or sell the Surface because a brand new tablet/laptop as expensive as this having an issue like this is ridiculous. Thanks in advance.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments