Surface Pro 4 - Screen won't wake from sleep

Anonymous
2015-10-27T05:32:42+00:00

I received my Surface Pro 4 today and it worked fine. I put it on "sleep" for awhile, came back and turned it on. Once again it worked fine. I made an error and instead of putting it on "sleep" I  hit the power button to turn it off when I finished. Now it won't come on at all. The screen stays dark. If I push the power button I can see lights under the keyboard keys, then if I hit the power switch again they go off. But nothing happens to the screen no matter what I do. Has anyone else suffered from this?

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-08-19T19:27:34+00:00

It works fine for me after the Anniversary Update to Windows 10 Pro (Version 1607). It no longer goes into a coma.

I just traveled all week. Put my Surface Pro 4 (SP4) to sleep 10 to 20 times each day, and currently my task manager shows the up time to be 7:21:35:21 - 7 days! It is actually working the way I expected it to when I bought it!

It was such a relief to not be scared to put it to sleep during meeting breaks to save battery when working with my Pen and OneNote. For the past 7 months I've had to have it on power when in meetings so that it wouldn't go into a coma. That was always so embarrassing.

You can update to the latest version of Windows 10 by opening Settings > Update & security > Windows Update, and selecting Check for updates.

Was this answer helpful?

10 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2,411 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-03-10T09:53:07+00:00

    I've confirmed that I have all of the updates installed. Yesterday the video 'shook' and then went black and then wouldn't turn on again. I had to do a hard reset.

    last week, it wouldn't wake from sleep and again required a hard reset.

    i run Windows update most days in the hope that it will become stable, so I don't think the fix that you released resolved the issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-03-10T10:57:59+00:00

    Occasionally my surface pro 4 running windows 10 will not wake from sleep mode.

    I then have to force a complete restart.

    Can see on the internet that other have similar problem also after the Feb Firmware update.

    Any idea when this will be fixed or is there a works-around?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-03-10T11:29:20+00:00

    Not waking up from sleep can be caused by a number of reasons so the first thing is to understand why that is the case. Was the device plugged in? Was it connected to a dock or other external devices?

    When the issue happens again, right-click Start and select Event Viewer. Go to Windows Logs -> System. Look for any error entries with source being Kernel-Power, Kernel-PNP or Kernel-General occurring between the time you put your device to sleep and the time you tried to turn it on again.

    Also look for BugCheck error entries in between that time and if there are any, check whether it created a C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP file (it should say something like this: The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck.  The bugcheck was: 0x0000009f (0x0000000000000003, 0xffffe000e15c7e20, 0xffffd00136c64ce0, 0xffffe000f710b6d0). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: 2af60824-67ac-4032-843c-41a7fbc121e1.). If so it would be helpful to upload that file and give us the link so we can have a look at what is causing the problem.

    I had a problem that after the 2/17 update my device would crash when asleep overnight connected to the Surface Dock. After investigating the memory dumps I isolated the issue to the ethernet interface on the dock itself (so nothing to do with the SP4) and after some additional troubleshooting with MS I'm expecting to receive my replacement dock today.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-03-10T18:03:07+00:00

    Thank you.

    I do not have any devices connected.

    I have checked the log-file and it says often the following error (sorry about the Danish):

    Adgangsindstillingerne standard for computeren giver ikke Lokal Aktivering adgang til COM-serverprogrammet med CLSID

    {C2F03A33-21F5-47FA-B4BB-156362A2F239}

    This error follows a warning from Kernel-Power that the system is now in sleep mode.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments