Surface Pro 4 - Screen won't wake from sleep

Anonymous
2015-10-27T05:32:42+00:00

I received my Surface Pro 4 today and it worked fine. I put it on "sleep" for awhile, came back and turned it on. Once again it worked fine. I made an error and instead of putting it on "sleep" I  hit the power button to turn it off when I finished. Now it won't come on at all. The screen stays dark. If I push the power button I can see lights under the keyboard keys, then if I hit the power switch again they go off. But nothing happens to the screen no matter what I do. Has anyone else suffered from this?

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-08-19T19:27:34+00:00

It works fine for me after the Anniversary Update to Windows 10 Pro (Version 1607). It no longer goes into a coma.

I just traveled all week. Put my Surface Pro 4 (SP4) to sleep 10 to 20 times each day, and currently my task manager shows the up time to be 7:21:35:21 - 7 days! It is actually working the way I expected it to when I bought it!

It was such a relief to not be scared to put it to sleep during meeting breaks to save battery when working with my Pen and OneNote. For the past 7 months I've had to have it on power when in meetings so that it wouldn't go into a coma. That was always so embarrassing.

You can update to the latest version of Windows 10 by opening Settings > Update & security > Windows Update, and selecting Check for updates.

Was this answer helpful?

10 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2,411 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-03-09T22:27:51+00:00

    I checked my updates and did not see the one refer to. I checked ms update page an no updat is listed for that date.  Can you give us the name of the update that fixes this issue?

    thanks

    There currently is no update that fixes the issue, only updates that make it somewhat better for some while making it much worse for others. The one Josh keeps taunting us with is the latest firmware/driver update which can be found here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=49498

    Your mileage may vary.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-03-09T23:08:40+00:00

    I would like to point out that constantly hibernating or placing the sp4 (or any pc) in sleep accumulates inconsistences and errors in memory which eventually (or not so eventually) will cause all kinds of problems because the OS never gets cleanly reloaded until or unless you do a restart.  I strongly recommend disabling Fast Restart so that your OS gets fully refreshed in memory each time you power on from a previous shutdown.  The difference in boot times is insignificant(maybe 5 second slower) and you will get a faster shutdown and cleaner shutdown as well.  Try it and report back if it helps.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-03-10T01:10:59+00:00

    Josh_F

    The sleep issue is still not fixed on my machine (i7, 64-bit, all updates applied).

    Where would you suggest I post this message?

    I paid $3k for my SP4 with all the bells and whistles.  I loved my previous surface and was hoping for some improvement as well as the flash-factor, but I can't rely on this machine for meetings. It is embarrasing when the i-machines surrounding me work flawlessly.

    I did buy the best warranty available so will likely be returning this machine if the fix does not get made soon.  I paid for the best and expect the best.

    Come on Microsoft, keep my business!

    Tim.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-03-10T01:38:44+00:00

    How am I supposed to install updates when the computer will not turn on?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments