Surface Pro 4 - Screen won't wake from sleep

Anonymous
2015-10-27T05:32:42+00:00

I received my Surface Pro 4 today and it worked fine. I put it on "sleep" for awhile, came back and turned it on. Once again it worked fine. I made an error and instead of putting it on "sleep" I  hit the power button to turn it off when I finished. Now it won't come on at all. The screen stays dark. If I push the power button I can see lights under the keyboard keys, then if I hit the power switch again they go off. But nothing happens to the screen no matter what I do. Has anyone else suffered from this?

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-08-19T19:27:34+00:00

It works fine for me after the Anniversary Update to Windows 10 Pro (Version 1607). It no longer goes into a coma.

I just traveled all week. Put my Surface Pro 4 (SP4) to sleep 10 to 20 times each day, and currently my task manager shows the up time to be 7:21:35:21 - 7 days! It is actually working the way I expected it to when I bought it!

It was such a relief to not be scared to put it to sleep during meeting breaks to save battery when working with my Pen and OneNote. For the past 7 months I've had to have it on power when in meetings so that it wouldn't go into a coma. That was always so embarrassing.

You can update to the latest version of Windows 10 by opening Settings > Update & security > Windows Update, and selecting Check for updates.

Was this answer helpful?

10 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2,411 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-03-09T07:57:45+00:00

    I have set it so my Surface will shut down after use. It's quicker to start up and does so reasonably reliably, with no screen problems (nor missing Bluetooth settings and mouse not working which I have reported elsewhere, with little response from MS, no surprises).

    Unfortunately it has MS errors because of some problem when starting up from off sometimes, so this delays things as it works out its message, sends it then restarts.

    However it is very reliable when off—stays on my desk, does not move, is quiet, no battery drain, stays the same color, does not gain weight etc. All good when off.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-03-09T13:10:44+00:00

    Push and hold the power button for 20 seconds then let it go and put it again it will turn on

    Yes -- I tried the same thing, and it has worked every time.  It's annoying, but it has never failed.  It seems to force the machine into a complete shutdown, even when it had hibernated.  When it wakes up, no applications are alive (showing that it was shut down, not hibernating).

    The problem usually occurs after I have been using external monitors.  I try to disconnect them before I hibernate, and that seems to help, but the problem still occurs sometimes even after doing this.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-03-09T13:16:24+00:00

    This is exactly what happens to me, also.  It usually happens when I am using the Surface Dock, but not always -- it happens every few days when I am not using the Dock, as well.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-03-09T16:48:10+00:00

    The 2/17/2016 hardware update didn't fix the issue, I have it installed on 2/19 and I'm still experiencing the issue, my surface pro 4 still won't wake after it went to sleep and I had to hard boot it every time. This is extremely frustrating.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments