Surface Pro 4 - Screen won't wake from sleep

Anonymous
2015-10-27T05:32:42+00:00

I received my Surface Pro 4 today and it worked fine. I put it on "sleep" for awhile, came back and turned it on. Once again it worked fine. I made an error and instead of putting it on "sleep" I  hit the power button to turn it off when I finished. Now it won't come on at all. The screen stays dark. If I push the power button I can see lights under the keyboard keys, then if I hit the power switch again they go off. But nothing happens to the screen no matter what I do. Has anyone else suffered from this?

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-08-19T19:27:34+00:00

It works fine for me after the Anniversary Update to Windows 10 Pro (Version 1607). It no longer goes into a coma.

I just traveled all week. Put my Surface Pro 4 (SP4) to sleep 10 to 20 times each day, and currently my task manager shows the up time to be 7:21:35:21 - 7 days! It is actually working the way I expected it to when I bought it!

It was such a relief to not be scared to put it to sleep during meeting breaks to save battery when working with my Pen and OneNote. For the past 7 months I've had to have it on power when in meetings so that it wouldn't go into a coma. That was always so embarrassing.

You can update to the latest version of Windows 10 by opening Settings > Update & security > Windows Update, and selecting Check for updates.

Was this answer helpful?

10 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2,411 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-03-09T01:21:08+00:00

    The blog post is from February.

    Greg [MSFT]: 

    please unmark this post

    as answered. It is not.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-03-09T01:37:14+00:00

    Some of us may be luckier, in that it seems to work ok.  Mine still seems to heat if I let it go to Sleep naturally, but if I put it to Sleep, seems ok.  Mostly testing it plugged however.

    There are a lot of folks still having the problem in a serious way.  Yet a friend just bought one and describes no problem. So I am wondering, if Microsoft thinks it is fixed, and sees this board as just a vocal minority, we may be irrelevant.  But it seems if your SP4 can demonstrate the problem so readily, why don't you take it back to the store, instead of waiting for a fix that now may never come, if we are a small group?  Further, if it is mostly not waking up, they need to replace them and incur the cost and see what is going on.

    The only reason I'm not taking mine back YET is that I hate the hassle of setting it up again, since it basically is working for me now.  I think something still is not right with that heat.  As I use it more as a tablet, if I have problems, it will go back as a warranty issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-03-09T03:13:34+00:00

    Returned my SP4 yesterday. $1500 and the device can't wake from sleep. I could even tolerate that until there is a fix, but MS hasn't even acknowledged this thread let alone addressed the concerns.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-03-09T03:25:26+00:00

    Unproductive and makes windows look bad.. anyways theres an update today. The changelog says something about improve hibernate speed but nothing about black screen of death, who knows maybe its mysteriously fixed!!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments