Surface Pro 4 - Screen won't wake from sleep

Anonymous
2015-10-27T05:32:42+00:00

I received my Surface Pro 4 today and it worked fine. I put it on "sleep" for awhile, came back and turned it on. Once again it worked fine. I made an error and instead of putting it on "sleep" I  hit the power button to turn it off when I finished. Now it won't come on at all. The screen stays dark. If I push the power button I can see lights under the keyboard keys, then if I hit the power switch again they go off. But nothing happens to the screen no matter what I do. Has anyone else suffered from this?

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-08-19T19:27:34+00:00

It works fine for me after the Anniversary Update to Windows 10 Pro (Version 1607). It no longer goes into a coma.

I just traveled all week. Put my Surface Pro 4 (SP4) to sleep 10 to 20 times each day, and currently my task manager shows the up time to be 7:21:35:21 - 7 days! It is actually working the way I expected it to when I bought it!

It was such a relief to not be scared to put it to sleep during meeting breaks to save battery when working with my Pen and OneNote. For the past 7 months I've had to have it on power when in meetings so that it wouldn't go into a coma. That was always so embarrassing.

You can update to the latest version of Windows 10 by opening Settings > Update & security > Windows Update, and selecting Check for updates.

Was this answer helpful?

10 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2,411 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-03-05T20:11:01+00:00

    Power button + volume up enters bios there u can disable secure boot if u want to install unapproved apps and applications as well as make other adjustments

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-03-05T20:30:50+00:00

    Hello Justin,

    Thanks for your reply.

    All I wanted to achieve is for my Surface to be a little predictable.

    At times, the keyboard will not come out of the sleep mode.

    As I have indicated, to come out of that dead state, I have had to perform the much publicised wake sequence.

    A firmware was releases late February which I promptly installed.

    Am I right in saying this firmware fix was supposed to fix the sleep issues?

    Once again, thanks for the reply.

    Kind Regards

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-03-06T04:30:49+00:00

    I seem to get stable sleep with disabling faststart then shutting the machine down(reboot doesn't clear things up) then starting.

    Also disabling lock screen and slideshow

    Unfortunately if sleep is consistent the USB craps out eventually to the point of having to reboot(which is better than a hard shutdown which messes data up)

    Also saw online about the battery drain during sleep issue can be improved by enabling hyperV as well as disabling WiFi

    As for battery life lowering the screen brightness gets better results

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-03-06T07:47:08+00:00

    I'm not sure if it's always been like this or if I changed something (since I've been reinstalling drivers, disabled fastboot, etc). But it's pretty clear to me now that my surface pro 4 (with all updates installed, including 2/17) sleeps fine when it's connected to power. It's only when I put it to sleep while on battery that it won't wake up and I have to do a hard reset. In fact it seems like it never sleeps, since there is no record of it having gone to sleep when I run powercfg -sleepstudy after having to do a hard reset.  Anyone else have this experience?

    I've also noticing quite a few errors in the event viewer after a hard reset. I can't tell if they are the cause or just a response to the hard reset. I see a couple of Lock Screen errors, some Perfmon errors and other things.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments