Surface Pro 4 - Screen won't wake from sleep

Anonymous
2015-10-27T05:32:42+00:00

I received my Surface Pro 4 today and it worked fine. I put it on "sleep" for awhile, came back and turned it on. Once again it worked fine. I made an error and instead of putting it on "sleep" I  hit the power button to turn it off when I finished. Now it won't come on at all. The screen stays dark. If I push the power button I can see lights under the keyboard keys, then if I hit the power switch again they go off. But nothing happens to the screen no matter what I do. Has anyone else suffered from this?

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-08-19T19:27:34+00:00

It works fine for me after the Anniversary Update to Windows 10 Pro (Version 1607). It no longer goes into a coma.

I just traveled all week. Put my Surface Pro 4 (SP4) to sleep 10 to 20 times each day, and currently my task manager shows the up time to be 7:21:35:21 - 7 days! It is actually working the way I expected it to when I bought it!

It was such a relief to not be scared to put it to sleep during meeting breaks to save battery when working with my Pen and OneNote. For the past 7 months I've had to have it on power when in meetings so that it wouldn't go into a coma. That was always so embarrassing.

You can update to the latest version of Windows 10 by opening Settings > Update & security > Windows Update, and selecting Check for updates.

Was this answer helpful?

10 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

2,411 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-03-05T03:12:56+00:00

    "You should just use hibernate if you don't want to return the device... it works and doesn't drain the battery and takes 2-3 extra seconds to wake. Other thing you can do is set max CPU power to 99% this way you will not use Intel Turbo boost, thus CPU will be locked to max 2.2GHz instead of bursting to 3.4GHz. "

    2 - 3 seconds??? What alternate universe do you live in? Mine takes an extra 15 seconds or so to wake from hibernate over sleep. If this was an inexpensive machine I wouldn't sweat it. But, as it is a flagship model from Microsoft, I was expecting--and paid for--better. I also was foolish enough to believe Microsoft's lies about fixing the problem. I should have returned the POS while I still could. I'd feel a lot better about the whole mess if Microsoft would apologize and just tell us they are working on the problem. Instead, this thread--with over 1000 replies--is marked as "answered". This is a slap in the face to all of Microsoft's core supporters. It's not the issue that **** me off. It's Microsoft's response to the issue that has turned me from a MS and Windows fan to a "will buy Apple next time" person. I'd really rather buy Microsoft, really. Especially since Apple can't be bothered to help fight terrorism here in the USA. (I've had friends killed by terrorists.) But if Microsoft is just going to **** on me as a high end customer then they are done with my business. "Answered" my ****.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-03-05T05:43:49+00:00

    Nice info.. USB does have issues, not sure but I think this is an Intel issue with USB and sleep since they are the authors(but could be wrong). As for the sleep issue if this was a Linux box the issue would be with gnome-session lock etc. May even be the xserver crapping out before the login stuff. If I new how to navigate windows I would do init 3 then sleep to see if this is video driver issue or userspace, then go from there. Strace and ps aux would would my friend

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-03-05T12:14:57+00:00

    I have not seen further information with regards to the latest Surface Pro 4 firmware updates.

    My Surface Pro 4 updated successfully.

    I followed the instructions to determine if the firmware installed successfully.

    Mine did, and I experienced the black screen as early as yesterday.

    I had to resort to the Power off and back on sequence to recover.

    Is there more I can do to resolve this issue if in fact the issue has been finally resolved.

    Thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-03-05T12:18:40+00:00

    I installed the firmware update but it has made no difference.  My Surface still won't wake up from sleep mode, and the only way to turn it on is to do a forced restart - Hold Power button for 30 secs, volume up, Power button again.

    Is there any other workaround we can use until Microsoft come up with a fix?

    regards,

    JeffAus

    Sorry, I have no fix as I am still experiencing the issue as early as yesterday. Had to perform the recovery sequence.

    • Power Off
    • Power On with the Volume Up
    • etc.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments